Air Compressor Question

I am buying a plasma cutter. It requires 4.7cfm @ 90 psi. Should I get a slightly larger compressor? Ingersoll Rand has a 5.7cfm @ 90 psi. Would this be able to keep up with the plasma cutter?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

In my opinion, yes. You are unlikely to be cutting 100% of the time. The larger your tank is the better buffer you'll have..but a larger compressor sure wouldn't hurt.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

IR makes a good product that seems to be accurately labeled as to its capacity (not with some conjured up marketing scheme). It should do it but ck the duty cycle rating and remember the bigger is generally better with compressors. Points to consider : If there is any chance you might need more air for something else (blast cabinet, lift,buffer,sandblaster ) then you want to accommodate those needs now. When I got mine (60 gal 2 stage, rated for continuous duty) the best price I found was from an IR dealer, so I benefit from a service dept that will come to me if needed. Don't forget about proper piping/ filtering, the dealer gave me some filters and valves with the unit.

Enjoy the hunt

Andy

Reply to
AndrewV