Aluminum at Lowes

Does anyone know what the aluminum rod at Lowes is in terms of grade?

I need some 3/8 inch rod that I can thread part way to put on a cb antenna connector for a ham radio antenna.

I heard the 6061 was good but the 2024 or whatever it is gums up real bad.

Reply to
stryped

Though I don't know for sure, the best bet is 6061. It is by far the most common alloy produced in round rod. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Reply to
yourname

Heck, that stuff could be 1100 for all I care. 's pretty soft.

Might be annealed, but I don't see why it wouldn't be at least T4. T0 takes time to produce, T4 is faster in manufacture and hardens on the shelf.

Tim

Tim Williams

Is it hard to thread?

Reply to
stryped

Most of that hardware store/H.I. store rod and flat stock is extruded, machines like bubble gum. If it doesn't have the actual alloy number stenciled on there, look out. I have seen a few aluminum shapes at the big boxes with alloy numbers on it, square bar and plate, most is mystery metal. Die-threading that extruded stuff can leave you with no threads and something resembling a miniature corn cob. Doing it in the lathe is worse, it tends to bend, very easily. Another item is the lack of strength of that extruded stuff, cutting threads on it gives you built-in stress risers, not something you need on an antenna. One source for known grade alloy rod is MSC, there are others. Brass or bronze might be another choice of material, if you end up ordering metal.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

I have purchased metal from Online Metals.com. They have good, quick service and reasonable prices. Freight can kill you though. They are on the West Coast.

John

Reply to
jmiguez

I have managed to find 6061 at one of the local HW stores. It was plainly marked. Don't remmember if it was home depo or ace.

chuck

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

Onlinemetals salesman comes around once in a while....says if price on the web appears a little "funny" relative to what you see elsewhere, give them a call to re-evaluate. They seem to be so focused on the "1 off" market that their web prices sometimes go a little awry.

Koz

Reply to
Koz