Another potential MOT use

For twenty years the white-tailed deer came into the field at the NW corner, grazed around the edge and left by the SE corner, completely ignored the rather extensive gardens. A few years ago, they changed. Ate everything in the garden including flourishig tomato plants. Kicked the seaweed off and ate the the seed potatoes. No half-assed tricks with piss pots of strategically placed gill net barriers helped at all.

Now I have a 4-strand 8' electric fence around a couple of acres. Posts are half inch rebar jammed into the ground. There are poly stand-offs made for just this setup. Battery operated fence charger runs on a good used car battery. Needs 1 or two recharges a season from April to November. Only deer incursions have been after I turn it off in the fall. They got a couple of young fruit trees last winter. This winter the replacement trees have individual hen wire cages.

Didn't work for rabbits. Now the favorite rabbit targets are in patchs surrounded by hen wire or electric sheep fence, one roll of which latter cost more that the whole shebang for the regular electric fence.

But no varmits are my garden last year. Well, excepting the red squirrels in the raspberry patch. Target practice.

Reply to
Mike Spencer

My bad. I read that as a complaint and offered a solution. Never mind. You have what you need...until they come during the day. THEN you squirt the RTV.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

No , then I squirt lead . The whitetails around here are a pain in the ass most of the year . Odd how they all disappear when hunting season comes around .

Reply to
Terry Coombs
[...]

Are you kidding, Larry? This stuff could be the substance that saves Democracy As We Know It! From the article:

"... most interesting is its ability to store gases such as carbon dioxide."

Imagine what Washington would be like if consuming an ounce(TBD) of this substance every morning were required for all office holders and agency heads. Every press briefing, even the reconstituted "five o'clock follies", would be gas-free!

( I can dream, can't I? )

Frank McKenney

Reply to
Frnak McKenney

You may have already had a look... Given your ability to source old parts and make do... etc. this might be an easy build.

A Homemade Electric Fence Charger

By the MOTHER EARTH NEWS Editors July/August 1982

zmaz82jazgoe.aspx

"The charger we put together is powered by a 12-volt automotive battery, and can deliver an attention-getting 25,000 volts of electricity to the fence strands once every second. "

I usually go to Mother Earth News whenever I need some kind of farm/garden diy.

Reply to
phorbin

Thanks ! Page is bookmarked , I have a few caps/resistors and a couple of usable coils ... and limited experience in electronics . This looks like a winner . Brings to mine my grandaddy's fence charger . It had a spring loaded rotating piece with a contact , when the contact made it would charge the fence for a pulse and a magnetic coil would "rewind" the rotating part for another cycle . Clunk clunk clunk SOB hurt too , but not long enough to kill or maim .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I've seen an "electric fence" device made from an auto ignition coil and a mechanical switching device. I also saw one built from a Ford Model T ignition coil that has a vibrating switch built in.

My father bought one to keep the cows out of the garden but it wasn't very successful in that a cow is usually browsing with it's head down and when they browsed into a single wire fence and get shocked the contact point is their withers and they run straight ahead and bust the fence :-)

Reply to
John B. Slocomb

We had one on the farm made out of a model "T" coil with a hacksaw blade and bolt and nut weight to act as a pendulum for the interupter.

We had another battery operated one we mounted on the tractor to keep the cattle from licking the ignition wires off the tractor when it was left sitting in the barnyard. Had to hit the switch at exactly the right time to turn it off, or use a broom stick.

They are generally VERY effective on cattle - they go down on their knees rather than running ahead though the fence, and they don't generally go back for a second try. Cattlebeasts are DUMB - but not that dumb!!

Reply to
clare

Well, to clear up any dreaming, top PhD's and those who have Master's Degrees have said this: ** 14 of the 15 hottest years on record have occurred since the year 2000 **

(NOW try to say global warming hasn't OCCURED)

Reply to
mogulah