Once again !

Y'all have certainly heard how nasty it got in our part of the country night before last with several inches of snow on top of the ice - several miles of I-40 was a parking lot for 24 hours or more . Once again I took it upon myself to get Rusty to work making sure we could get out . Imagine my surprise , when I got up to the end of the driveway someone else has been clearing the road ! Turns out my new neighbor has a spankin' new Kubota 4WD tractor , and he's movin' snow with his front loader . So we teamed up , he pushes a path then I come along behind him and blade the crud off to the side . The only stretch that has any ice is where the melt ran across the road between my drive and the intersection where the Little Dirt Road meets the Big Dirt Road . There is one patch up on the flat that's not totally clear , I had some fuel supply problems and had to work on the machine - probably some ice crystals in the fuel , that gas has been in my can for a couple of months and a lot of temp cycling .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Yeah, it looked just like HelL.A. on a good morning, only whiter and a whole lot colder.

Good job, guys!

Time for some StaBil?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I don't think so , this fuel was in a plastic container and I'm thinking the temperature cycling caused a little condensation . I only use non-ethanol fuel in my small engines , unless the Conoco station is closed by the weather . It turned out the carb needed a bit of tweaking , I opened the main jet adjuster screw a half turn and it's back to runnin' like a top . I saw the Conoco is open today when I took the wife to work , so all my cans will be going to town when I pick her up . -- Snag

Reply to
Terry Coombs

We have been lucky in that a lot of the snow either goes North or South of us. Last night was the exception. We got hit.

My wife bought a Toro 2 cycle snow thrower at a garage sale back when it wa s warm. And I would recommend it. It does not clear a very wide path, so I have to take four passes to clear the driveway. But it is light and easy to push.

Yesterday I cleared the drive way while it was still snowing and ran out of fuel. So today I mixed up some more fuel and went over it again. It is n ot perfect, but it is as good as the road in front of the house. The drive way is only about 200 yards long, so this works for me. If I had a long dr ive, I would be looking for something bigger.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

We have been lucky in that a lot of the snow either goes North or South of us. Last night was the exception. We got hit.

My wife bought a Toro 2 cycle snow thrower at a garage sale back when it was warm. And I would recommend it. It does not clear a very wide path, so I have to take four passes to clear the driveway. But it is light and easy to push.

Yesterday I cleared the drive way while it was still snowing and ran out of fuel. So today I mixed up some more fuel and went over it again. It is not perfect, but it is as good as the road in front of the house. The driveway is only about 200 yards long, so this works for me. If I had a long drive, I would be looking for something bigger.

I bought a used 3HP single-stage to clear close spaces such as around the car. I found that my home-made roof rake (hoe) is the right tool to break down deep snow in front of it when clearing paths.

Here in southern NH some places have recorded a total of over 100" of snow and we were 1/10 degree short of the all-time record for coldest February. Lets hope this year won't bring another "Marchuary" like last year.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins