Rusty prove it's worth

That's what I call my little JD tractor because , well , it's rusty . Today it proved it's worth , performing one of the two main tasks I wanted it for - clearing ice/snow from our road and driveway . After last night's "ice event" our road was nearly impassable going up and downright dangerous in spots coming down . One area in particular is steep , tilted , and always gets very very slippery . Nearly slid the SUV into the ravine coming back down after a highway check . I figgered why not try , so I did . The little feller did an ace job of scraping enough of the ice off that stretch that the road is now passable and not as dangerous . It helps that the ice is right at freezing and kinda spongy . Neighbors appreciate it too ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

"Terry Coombs" <

Looks like a good time to post this story I wrote back in '01. This happened in the U.P. Mich.

Pretty Boy Ford It's been a long winter up here and we are all begining to show signs of 'shack fever'. We have tried to use various hexes, old wives cures, ancient Indian chants and impressive church ceremonies all to no avail, heikki lunta just won't give it up! My old '73 Dodge plow truck has been the only relief to this misery even though it requires various infusions of petroleum products to keep going, it even had to endure an electrical operation to maintain functions. Somehow it just keeps on doing it's duty faithfully and without complaint but had a mean jolt of the future a week ago when a brand new year 2001 Ford F-250 diesel club cab w/Boss plow showed up at the Golden Harp Inn down at the corner! The 'ol Dodge thought this was the end as this beast was going to take over it's assigned duty! Oh no, what will become of the 'ol Dodge now? Each day when I went to plow there it was, practising on the lot in the rear of the building and intimidating all who viewed it's performance. 'Ol Dodge was becoming very depressed as it could not possibly compete with such showmanship! Deep jealousy set in and the heater seemed colder, the u-joints seemed looser and the plow rattled more loudly than before. (:>( I inquired about the newcomer and was told it was there only for a week or so because it's owner was away on a business trip and didn't care to leave it in town as some of it's luster may be lost on curious neigbors. Well today it was gone! The 'ol Dodge leaped on the opportunity to regain some semblance of status and eagerly went to the task at hand, scraping the lot clear down to the ice underlayment and easily pushing 'Pretty Boy Ford's' pile back another 10' or more! The lot ended up smooth and flat as the pool table inside! Happiness once again prevails for the 'ol Dodge knowing that it's assigned duties will not be taken away. When I parked the 'ol Dodge I patted it on the hood and congratulated it on a job well done and I swear it rocked a little bit side to side in acknowledgement! As I walked away I could hear it's hot exhaust pipes merrily ticking away in joy! Just goes to show you that beauty is only skin deep and what was properly designed and built cannot be replaced by flashy looks! 'Ol Dodge will get some new parts and tlc this summer as a reward! 27feb01 pdk

Reply to
Phil Kangas

snipped a bit

Rusty is just a kid , it was made in 1982 . Barely dry behind the ears ... Ol' Dodge sounds like my kinda truck !

Reply to
Terry Coombs