Anti rust

Got a BUNCH of rusty tire chains, that are shedding every time I move them.

Got citric acid for derusting, now just need something to keep them from rusting again.

Dip application, and preferably won't cover me whith slime every time I have to move 'em into or out of vehicle.

thanks

gary

Reply to
gary556

Motorcycle chain wax?

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Does this help?

Jim Wilkins

Hook em up to the rear bumper of your car and drag em a few miles down a gravel road. Works great for cleaning them (and chain) up.

Then store em in 50 cal ammo cans with a spritz of LPS-3 before closing them up. Lable the cans for the chain size and voila! Bobs your uncle.

Ive kept my tire chains that way for decades. Works very well.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

You need to keep oxygen away from the chains. And there are lots ways to do that. Put them in a air tight container or put something on the chain. I got a gallon of liquid floor wax at a estate sale and use that. Parafin in paint thinner would work about the same.

Harbor Freight sell vacuum storage bags, which would work well, But expensive when not on sale. So maybe ziploc bags from Walmart. They would work fine if you do not move the bags. They are too flimsy except for sitting on a shelf.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

WD-40, it's not just for lubrication value.

.

Got citric acid for derusting, now just need something to keep them from rusting again.

Dip application, and preferably won't cover me whith slime every time I have to move 'em into or out of vehicle.

thanks

gary

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

-You need to keep oxygen away from the chains. And there are lots ways

-to do that. Put them in a air tight container or put something on the

-chain.

My collection of tire and logging chains hangs on the posts of an open-sided pole shed, a foot in from the roof edge. A hanging tarp that I can see over usually keeps splash and wind-blown rain off them. What little rust they accumulate in a year wears off in minutes of use.

More valuable bare steel implements like axes are in a yard shed, which is enough to keep the fog from reaching them. They rarely show rust on the sharpened edges. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I've dunked chains in a bucket of melted canning wax. You have to leave them in a while as they freeze up the wax when you first toss them in but it costs close to nothing and works fine for storage. Once dry, the coating is thin and makes no mess.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Google "VCI bags" as another option

Reply to
Denis G.

Google "VCI bags" as another option

Thanks, it is tid bits of information like this that I did not know before that is the reason I still pay attention to this group.

Reply to
anorton

Tire chains in Southern California....... In the high desert......

Reply to
John B.

They have other uses than just traction on ice & snow.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Black oxide on the chain does well. It replaces the red-orange rust.

The poor man's way is to put the chain under water and let the chain start to absorb the oxygen out of the water - but instead of orange it turns out to be black. It won't go orange.

I did this with some 1/2" thick numbers for my wife - desk paper weight. They came out black as coal. I then dryed them out and clear coated them. They were desk ware.

The other item is Phosphoric acid (green in color) - this is used as a soaking bath - (don't get it on you) - but once the clean iron/steel gets in it - it starts to turn gray. Don't leave it in for more than some hours - watch it. It can find weak points and eat through. This plates phosphorus on the outside and prevents rust.

I'd do one of the various ways pointed out and then store them in large ammo boxes (rubber seals) to prevent further rusting and kinda holds the chain from bumping around and knocking off a surface treatment.

Mart> Got a BUNCH of rusty tire chains, that are shedding every

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Do NOT use acid on chains - hydrogen embrittlement makes the links like glass. I cleaned some bicycle chain by soaking overnight in metal=prep - which is a fairly dilute phosphoric acid solution. Chain snapped like glass first time I put some pressure on the pedals.

Reply to
clare

Ayup. Sometimes the high desert get snow. Sometimes..a pretty fair amount.

This year

The blurb is rather typical...wild fire mixed with snow and lightening.

Pending Snow Storm Cancels Red Flag Warning By Fran Paolinelli ANTELOPE VALLEY - The National Weather Service Sunday night had issued a red flag warning indicating the presence of wildfire conditions in mountain, forest and valley areas of the Southland. However, by 9 a.m. Monday, NWS had cancelled the warning because weather conditions were not what they had expected.

Instead the NWS is predicting a cold storm, which will bring rain and snow in some areas of the Southland Wednesday and Thursday along with winds gusting to 45 miles per hour. There is also the possibility of a thunderstorm Thursday.

Snow on the Grapevine (I-5 at Gorman) and other mountain roads could make driving difficult late Wednesday and early Thursday, according to the NWS forecasters.

Snow levels will fall to 4,500 to 5,000 feet Wednesday night, and to near 3,500 feet by Thursday morning. Light to moderate rain and mountain snow are expected Wednesday night, with rain and snow showers diminishing through the day Thursday, according to NWS.

The approaching storm is expected to produce up to a quarter-inch of rain in the deserts, between a quarter-inch and three quarters of an inch along the coast and in the valleys, and between three-quarters and one-and-a-half inches in the mountains, according to the NWS."

Keep in mind that its the Serria Nevada mountains to the east..and the Tehacapis to the west and us in the middle of the two.

So we occasionally get "interesting" weather. It doesnt generally hang around for more than a couple days..but we have had a few winters where it stayed for over a week.

Ive seen it snow..and the next day be 90F.

1999 was a "big" snow year..I had maybe 6" in the front yard and it was mostly gone by the next day.

But because we are in a valley..with high mountains on both sides...we do get a fair amount of water when it rains. Flash floods are very common in many places. In about 1977-78...we had a wet wet winter..and the Central Valley flooded. a thousand square miles or more... of farm land under water

Most lowlands of the Central Valley are prone to flooding, especially in the old Tulare Lake, Buena Vista Lake, and Kern Lake beds. The Kings, Kaweah, Tule and Kern rivers originally flowed into these seasonal lakes, which would expand each spring to flood large parts of the southern San Joaquin Valley. Due to the construction of farms, towns and infrastructure in these lakebeds while preventing them from flooding with levee systems, the risk of floods damaging properties increased greatly.

Major public works projects beginning in the 1930s sought to reduce the amount of snowmelt flooding by the building of large dams. In

2003, it was determined that Sacramento had both the least protection against and nearly the highest risk of flooding. Congress then granted a $220 million loan for upgrades in Sacramento County.[22] Other counties in the valley that face flooding often are Yuba, Stanislaus, and San Joaquin.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

But..we use em for traction on ice and snow.

The large mountain pass between the Central Valley and the LA basin gets on average about 50,000 big trucks alone per day.

  1. Lie
Gunner

Poor mans Parkerizing.

50 cal ammo cans are ideal for storing tire chains.

On big trucks..use 20mm cans, steel or plastic

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Of course but they can be used to pull a car out of a ditch or most other jobs that you need a mediu grade chain for, and it has a built in spare. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

True enough. But I carry a 25' chain all the time.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Why would you want to get within 25 foot of a frothing liberal who needs pulled out of a ditch? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell