anyone have a good supplier for green sand for light iron casting?

anyone have a good supplier for green sand for light iron casting, that will sell in 50 pound bags?

Reply to
Modat22

If you're going to the trouble of ordering something, use the superior synthetics.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I just want good old fashioned natural bonded sand

Reply to
Modat22

Best to go out and dig your own, then. A good place to start is around gravel mining operations. I've found good sand in piney woods hills.

Reply to
Gary Brady

Depending on your location there may be a lot of it around. I've had good luck using the fine sand that blows in the wind and collects in mini drifts. Dust bowl Kansas was probably a good place to find it.

George Willer

Reply to
George Willer

Never seen greensand sold already premixed, only PB II so far. It would help to know what area your in. 50# of greensand certainly is not much to work with........why not just buy some good olivine sand and some hydrobond and mix it up yourself..All the ingredients are dirt cheap...although shipping could kill you in $$$ Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wife, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

I live in Kentucky, I had a couple hundred pounds of a couple different types of sand that I picked up at foundry a while back. Over time its just got too many additives in it and I just need to mix up a good batch.

I found some ok natural bonded sand in a creek but its awful course stuff.

Perhaps I'm asking the wrong question, does anyone have a good supplier for say around a 160 grain silica sand? I'll just mix it up myself.

Could also use some 250 fine grain plain sand.

Reply to
Modat22

Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wife, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

Yeah, the phone book. I was calling around the area the other day and there's 15 foundries/suppliers around here (a population of under 500k). One I called supplies clay and such exactly for green sand, so there ya go...check the yellow pages.

You could do worse than to buy some dry powdered clay from the pottery store and a few bags of general purpose or sandblasting sand from the hardware store, mull it by hand and go. Just don't think about trying iron first.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams