Are nut splitters any good?

If you're real good you can take the fuel tank off by cutting the straps with the torch, or use the torch to deal with rounded wheel nuts and not ruin the rim or torch tip.

I don't recommend that method of fuel tank removal too strongly though, it's a bit risky on old cars that might have rusted spots under the straps..

Reply to
JohnM

Thanks for the advice Gunner. I thought hard about it and decide to bite the bullet and go for the Facom set. Happily they're a little cheaper in the UK than the US (probably because they're made in Europe). Will let people know how they perform...

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Maybe I'm too late to efeectively chime in on this one, but I used to use one a lot to disassemble old farm machinery. It worked great and I didn't need an air compressor. Just like anything else, there are good ones and bad ones.

Pete Stanaitis

-----------------------

JustMe-Lane wrote:

Reply to
spaco

You've gotten a pretty good variety of opinion on this question, I'll make the point that I've never had a nut splitter and never really seemed to need one. A good chisel will do a lot of work in a short time, that's generally the tool I use if I can't get in to cut it with the torch.

John

Reply to
JohnM

Thanks for the extra opinions. I've ordered the Facom nut splitter set. I too work on old farm machinery, and I thought a nut splitter would suit this kind of work well. Sometimes I'm away from an electricity supply, and sometimes I don't want to use a chisel for fear of damaging components, or simply because there isn't room to swing a hammer. I don't have a torch because I probably wouldn't use it enough to justify the bottle rental. I hope the nut splitter serves me well. I'll post some thoughts here when I've had chance to use it a few times.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy