Armored control cable

Hello, I Am hoping that some knowledgeable person here can give me an idea where to find or the proper name for the metal clad flexible control / signal cable that is used on the read heads of dro's. Metal Content, I need this for a control interface on my lathe. Thanks for your help

Reply to
Fillister

There are quite a few options, several of which you should be able to easily find locally.

Sealtite is one brand of armored flexible conduit, it's a spiral steel conduit with a PVC jacket so it's both armored and waterproof. Used on power drops to outdoor A/C compressors among other things and readily found at home improvement stores.

Another type is a flexible steel conduit they I've typically heard referred to as "Greenfield", probably a manufacturer reference. This type is not waterproof (no jacket) and looks just like the BX type wire except that it is empty so you pull your own wire through it. It is more flexible than the Sealtite type conduit. You may be able to find this one at home improvement type places, if not and electrical supply house will have it.

An electrical supply house will also be able to get the many other types of flexible armored conduit, but many will be special order.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Reply to
Fillister

By armor do you mean a foil or braided shield over the conductors, but inside the overall plastic jacket? If so, look for "multiconductor shielded cable", or "multipair shielded cable". The multipair cable will have pairs of conductors individually shielded and another shield over the whole bundle.

If you only need a few feet, look in McMaster-Carr on page

1695, though they call this stuff "computer cable". For more rugged and flexible cable look on pages 722 thru 727.

There are much less expensive sources if you're looking for larger quantities.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

For small diameter armored cable try:

You may need to contact them for a retail supplier.

Ed

Reply to
edferg

Reply to
Fillister

Sounds like possibly >

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Hey Fillister,

I didn't follow what your needs were, but I have 4 new cables used on Mitutoyo DRO's.

I also see lots of defective DRO's at auctions (usually sans scales), with cables attached that would still have a service life for a hobbyist.

Take care.

Brian Laws>>

Reply to
Brian Lawson