Austin Community College welding classes

Registration began this week for the fall semester. I took these classes and found them to be excellent, with really great teachers. Highly recommended. check out

for more info... __ "All it took was all I had..."

Reply to
Emmo

Agreed. I took the class called "art metals" or something (aka studio problems and a couple other names so you can get multiple credits, and also can be taken thru art dept.). Not much chance of getting certified in the end, but a good way for a hobbyist to explore various technologies in a well-stocked shop for a reasonable price. Take it with Gingras if you can fit him in your schedule.

Treedweller

Reply to
No Spam

Reply to
Emmo

The site at the posted address is a bit spamish (it has pop-ups, e.g.). The actual ACC site is

not .com. An alternate address is

Bert

"Emmo" wrote:

Reply to
Bert

I apologize for posting the wrong URL and thank you for correcting it...

Reply to
Emmo

Another place to check out is the Sculpture Academy of Austin. Being undecided as to how much schooling I needed/wanted for art metal I opted to sign up for their classes instead of ACC. ACC definitely has a more thorough curriculum (although I believe Sculpture Academy is just getting started and trying to add more classes), but the Sculpture Academy is more convenient for location and time by far for me.

-will

Reply to
El Barista

ACC also has a fully stocked and supplied, indoor shop/work area. It also has a full range of name-brand, quality equipment, including oxy-acet, MIG, TIG, stick, plasma, etc., as well as grinders, drill press, chop saw, etc., etc., etc. It also has giant, communal gas tanks which means you just go to a torch and light it, without having to tinker with regulators all the time or replace empty tanks just when you're getting up some momentum. It also has big piles and bins of scrap material to work with, a bonus for a "found" artist like me.

But those are just my preferences, I guess. A semester doesn't seem like a long investment to me.

Treedweller