Welding class information...any classes besides semester based?

Are there any welding classes besides those offered on a sememster basis and such?

As a programmer, they have many week long or multiple week long classes in different languages and stuff. Is there anything like this in welding?

rvb

Reply to
Rick Barter

Depends on the school -

My local community college is run on quarters, with two classes back-to-back per quarter, each class being 5.5 weeks.

Rich

Reply to
Rich Jones

You didn't say where you are located. Texas?

The SF Bay area has several classes like that. I'm currently taking a TIG class in Oakland, Calif. at the Crucible

The 3 hour class meets one evening a week for 10 weeks.

The classes at the Crucible are geared towards artists and hobbyists, i.e., there isn't a lot of theory or textbooks, but we spend three straight hours welding. The other plus is that the class has only eight students (and 10 welders) which is a real plus considering the local community college class has 25 students.

Reply to
Aaron Kushner

Yes, I'm in Houston. I haven't found much here. It seems every place I call is either closed now or catering to high school students.

I am, however, moving to Louisville, Kentucky within the next 6 months and hope to have more luck there.

rvb

Reply to
Rick Barter

If you can take a week, check out the "MotorSports Welding Class" offered by Lincoln Electric at their Cleveland, OH plant. I took the class a couple of years ago and it was excellent. You can use all of the latest equipment in the lab. Check out the info on their web site.

Rex the Wrench

Rick Barter wrote:

Reply to
Rex the Wrench

Thanks for the info.

rvb

Reply to
Rick Barter

What is this class like? How much prior welding experience is necessary? My wife's family lives in Kent, and I could take the family out for a week without being trapped at the in-laws:)

Reply to
George Howell

The class was great. I had bought a SquareWave175 TIG machine previous to attending, and I wanted to learn more about it's capabilities and get some professional instruction on technique. Classroom time was about

35%, the rest was lab work. Check out their web site for more info. The experience range of our class (12 people) was from "very little" to "I weld for a living". The instructor spent much quality time with me during the lab sessions, and the slope of my learning curve was vertical! I HIGHLY recommend this class.

Rex the Wrench

George Howell wrote:

Reply to
Rex the Wrench