Auto Body Web Sites?

Yeah, I'm really getting into cars these days. As is typical of myself, I catch "fevers" of interest in things. Lately it's been auto restoration and customizing. I've been searching the web for sites having to do with car chassis and suspension design, auto body fabrication and related topics (I'm interested in interior upholstery too, but that ain't metalworking!)

One thing I'd really like to find is a website detailing the anatomy of a car body's components. I'm aware of the terms "front clip", "A Pillar", "B Pillar", etc. but am hazy as to which is which is what, so a website with a breakdown of these sections or components would solve a few riddles for me.

One more question I might as well toss in here is, what are the obstacles to getting a car that was fabricated from scratch registered and insured? I seem to remember someone here had built a replica of an older sports car (MG?) fabricating everything by himself, as opposed to just buying a kit car. It must be difficult to get something like that registered and insured for road use. Any tales of woe or triumph out there?

Thanks.

Reply to
Artemia Salina

this site links you to state DMV's

Karl

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

myself,

restoration

website

obstacles

Front clip - Usually everything from the firewall forward. Including the frame/subframe, body parts, wiring. Does not include the engine/drivetrain as a general rule.

Pillars - A pillar, Front pillars on either side of the windshield, The next set back (usually at the back of the front doors) are B, Next set would be C,D.. And so on.

Obstacles depend a LOT on what state your in and how many parts are bought. In the easiest states you just build the car, take it on a trailer to a local inspector, they look it over and assign a VIN then you take that VIN and do the paperwork like any other vehicle. In others you need paperwork for EVERYTHING, any purchased parts, certification of any welding/fabrication work, Then you take it in and they inspect the vehicle and do emissions testing based on the engine. Then they will add up your materials costs and charge you a fee based on that number. Then you get a VIN and go to DMV.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks Steve.

Karl Vorwerk posted a useful link to DMV departments in the US. From looking at my state's DMV regs (Conn.) I live in one of those tougher states. Rats! Looks like I might have to relocate when I retire.

That, or I'll have to fib. "Gee officer, didn't ALL Nash Metropolitans blown 472 ci motors??... It seemed to kinda fit, sorta, so I just put it in as a replacement for the old one!" "Well yeah, that DOES look like a

9 inch Ford rear end, now that you mention it! I wonder how THAT got there?!?"

(Thanks for the link, Karl)

Reply to
Artemia Salina