auto detailing 101

The family car just took a 2000 mile ride on an auto transport. When I picked it up, I noticed something had splattered all over the auto and ran down before drying. I have no clue as to what. Looks maybe like tar that dried. Just maybe, the car was on the lower deck and the one above was leaking something.

Anyway, today I fired up the 4000 psi 4 gpm 200 degree pressure washer. (This is just like a hand car wash wand on steroids) After 1/2 hour of washing, I can see this ain't going to get it.

What should I try from here? Don't want to remove the finish but need some serious stain removal power.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Try bug/tar remover. Maybe try rubbing alchol in a small spot to see how it does.

Reply to
stryped

Check with a auto parts store for bug/tar remover. I think the stuff is basically diluted diesel fuel, but it works. When the county resurfaced my road a few years ago, my wife nearly had her car painted with the stuff. We bought a bottle of this stuff and with a little elbow grease removed nearly all of it. It did not affect the finish at all. It probably helps that we keep a pretty good coat of wax on our cars. I can't remember the exact brand off hand, but I doubt it matters too much.

JW

Reply to
cyberzl1

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message news:nI7Md.4695$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...

Eucalyptus oil has always been the best stuff for removing tar from car paintwork. I tried it many years ago and it worked very well, the tar comes off easily and it doesn't affect the paint.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

If it is Tar or some other petroleum product, the bug and tar remover will work well. So will WD40, or even plain old butter.

Reply to
Pete Snell

I did auto detailing as my main line of business for years...

Gasoline. Cheap stuff, not premium. Do not let it sit on the paint more than about 30 seconds at a time. Wet the cloth you will use (see below) thoroughly and use that to remove it with light rubbing... Start out very easy.

Bug and tar remover will work too, as may some soda products... But nothing works as well as gas. I've used it on Porches, Mercedes, BMWs and Ferrari vehicles. Not to mention a few cheap Nissans. :)

Just make ABSOLUTELY SURE that you wax the car afterwards and use only a soft, cotton towel like a face cloth. Remove all tags from the cloth first.

wax! wax!! wax!!!

If you don't wax it afterwards, the paint will be as exposed to anything that goes near it.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

V8013

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message news:nI7Md.4695$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Ditzler PPG DX-330 "Acryliclean" will remove almost anything like that, and it's safe for use on car paint. That's exactly what it is made for. Find it at an auto paint supply place, as Lowells' in Mnpls (several stores) or whatever supplier you have that's closer.

Reply to
Don Foreman