Automated honing

I've been asked to help with the design of honing systems for cutting tools, mostly as a preparation for TiN and other ion coatings. I've had some of the physics explained to me and it's fascinating! One of the methods use rubber particles coated with diamond dust accelerated in a fluidized bed that the tools are cycled through. You can get a very fine mirror finish without excessive erosion of the actual cutting edges. The fine finish when coated has superior low friction properties.

Finish is a big issue with cutting tool manufacturers and the coating industry. I'm blessed to have such access to TiN coating that I have a coated tea-bag squeezer, and any thing else I could want. So, I'm happy to make even a small contribution. Does anyone know where I can find more info about these honing processes?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Find the trade magazine Cutting Tool Technology. Recent articles on fluidized honing , a bit beyond me.It's a free pub to the trade.

Reply to
beecrofter