Bad spot on motor?

I bought a 1 ton Budgit 3 phase hoist at auction. Tried it today. Went up and down a couple of times just fine. After that, the motor would only hum; no attempt at motion.

I just tore it down. Nothing obviously wrong. What are the chances of a bad spot on the windings causing this? Any way to double check for this problem?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Sounds more like you've lost one leg of the three phase. Without it the motor won't start. Check to see if you have voltage on all three legs.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Perhaps the holding brake is sticking.

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

With the rotor removed energize the fields , throw a steel ball bearing into field .If the field windings are good the bearing will race around the inside , if one field is bad the ball bearing will stop and vibrate. Simple , but it works.

Pete

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message news:%WH2e.7942$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...

Reply to
Pete

Hey, I like Pete's method. Those hoists are pretty good stuff, so I'd not suspect the motor first off. Check the switch, look for cruddiness or a loose wire there.

John

Reply to
JohnM

Typically this means you lost contact in one leg of the switch. A bit of WD-40 usually cleans em up.

Gunner

Lathe Dementia. Recognized as one of the major sub-strains of the all-consuming virus, Packratitis. Usual symptoms easily recognized and normally is contracted for life. Can be very contagious. michael

Reply to
Gunner

..

Thanks for the tips. I just gotta try that ball bearing trick.

I can testify that they do break. I use a hoist to unload apple bins into the packing line. On the VERY LAST bin of the year, the hoist broke suddenly and dropped 800 lbs. of fruit in the water RIGHT NOW. Seconds earlier and it would have caught my hand. Anyway, very lucky twice over.

I'm going to rebuild both the auction special and the broken one. Then I'll have a spare ready to go.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I'm not sure about the laws in your area but over here any lifting device must be certified when used in an industrial establishment.

If somebody gets injured or killed because you are using unqualified equipment your ass is grass.

Be careful. It doesn't hurt to spend a few extra bucks and have it checked out by a pro.

Reply to
Douglas Adams

John sez:> Hey, I like Pete's method. Those hoists are pretty good stuff, so I'd

The switch idea is consistent with Harold's "lost a phase" hypothesis above. It gets my vote as #1 most likely to cause interruptus defunctus.

Bob Sw>> With the rotor removed energize the fields , throw a steel ball bearing

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Karl,

didja ever think . . . you're drawing bad Karma because you didn't send me my sack of apples?

Bob Swinney "Karl Townsend" wrote in message news:D1T2e.1218$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Hey Karl,

Much more likely to be a bad contact in the switch or the relay/contactor.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Reply to
Brian Lawson

I BET THT"S IT. Trouble is I got CRS, remind next Nov 1 and I'll send you one. HoneyCrisp if you ask nice.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend