Baldor 522 Bench Grinder For Sharpening Lathe Tools

Well, You guys would be able to point me in the right direction I figure. I recently purchased a used Myford Super 7B as my first lathe and am in
the market for a bench grinder to sharpen up tools.
I found some inexpensive grinders and looked at Delta(now Chinese made) and then started looking at Baldor. In fact, I thought the Baldor 522 might just be the right thing to buy. Here is a link: http://www.baldor.com/products/detail.asp?1=1&page=1&catalogonly=1&catalogR2&product=Grinders%2FBuffers&family=Grinders%7Cvw%5FGrindBuff%5FGrinders
Any American or European alternatives I am missing here?
Thanks, David
david wrote:

http://www.baldor.com/products/detail.asp?1=1&page=1&catalogonly=1&catalogR2&product=Grinders%2FBuffers&family=Grinders%7Cvw%5FGrindBuff%5FGrinders
An older single phase Prosser grinder with the same setup recently sold for $116 on Ebay from a local merchant. I have a real old 2 HP 3 phase grinder with new green wheels and a massive pedestal that was $50. Although the 3 phase means I have to plug it in to my VFD, it is the smoothest grinder I have ever used and the quietest. I would save the big bucks for your next lathe, milling machine or surface grinder, unless money is no issue.
david wrote:

http://www.baldor.com/products/detail.asp?1=1&page=1&catalogonly=1&catalogR2&product=Grinders%2FBuffers&family=Grinders%7Cvw%5FGrindBuff%5FGrinders
Hi David,
Congratulations on a sweet lathe!
As you note, most (all?) of the Delta grinders are PRC sourced.
U.S. Baldor grinders are very nice, although pricey.
If Taiwan if OK in your book, the 8 inch Jet has been very satisfactory, although you will need to mount new tool rests, the provided ones are not adjustable. I've had a Jet 8 incher for around 6 years now, no complaints. Smooth and powerful.
Cheers, Stan
Have you looked at the Harbor Freight version of this grinder? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberF727 A friend purchased one for $119 on sale in the store. It works very smoothly. I would replace one of the wheels with a ALOx wheel and you would be all set for HSS.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (david) wrote in message

http://www.baldor.com/products/detail.asp?1=1&page=1&catalogonly=1&catalogR2&product=Grinders%2FBuffers&family=Grinders%7Cvw%5FGrindBuff%5FGrinders
Thanks for your suggestions. They are greatly appreciated. I will see what Ebay turns up on some searches.
Forgive my naivete, but, would the carbide grinder work out ok for HSS?
Another one, if I bought a less expensive grinder are better tool tables available for angle adjustments and so forth? Are there any kind of standards for these at all or is it a matter of try it and make it work? OR, hey, I gotta lathe now I could make some couldn't I!?!
I have to get into the make it before I buy it mode now...what a great concept eh?
Thanks, David
Recently I made an attachment for my bench grinder so I could accurately grind a bit for acme threads, but I have been grinding hss tool bits for turing and facing with no guide for a long time.
Do a search on Google Groups on drill sharpening and see how many people reccomend free hand sharpening of drills. Lathe bits are a piece of cake in comparison.
My recommendation is to get a regular bench grinder and forget about a tool table for a couple of years.
Dan