Bandsaw help?

I have an old "imported" band saw which has a round endless drive belt.

The belt eventually broke, and I replaced it with a "gates" belt.

Problem: the new belt stretches almost like a rubber band and slips.

The old belt was red (or orange) and the new one is black. I think I need a 'harder' belt which in turn would not stretch so badly???

Any idea where I can get a suitable replacement?

Thanks in advance, Lurker

Reply to
lurker

It might help if we knew _which_ imported band saw you have. You might need to check on the procedures for adjusting belt tension, and, if no suppliers of the appropriate belt are to be found, consider adding an idler wheel to maintain tension somewhere on the loop of the belt.

I'm not sure whether or not the color of the belt is significant. The profile shape and dimensions certainly are, however, and given those, we might be able to steer you to a source...

Al Moore

Reply to
Alan Moore

What's the diameter of the material of the original belt? Does it have any reinforcement or is it all "rubber"?

Rounthane is one brand of round urethane belting, there are many others. The stuff is heat spliced into endless belts.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

It sounds as though you're talking about a urethane belt. This stuff comes in big rolls and is cut to length, and heat welded/joined to form a belt. It seems to work well for some uses, but not so good for others. I assume someone had replaced the original V-belt with the round urethane belt.

They're probably less likely to roll over when the pulleys aren't properly aligned. They should be made smaller in circumference than the appropriate sized V-belt to be properly tensioned within the same adjustment range. I think it's best to unmount these belts when they're not being used.

If you have any other V-belts around, see which size fits in the Vs of the pulleys.. maybe either a 3L (3/8" wide) or 4L (1/2" wide) type/size. Also, check the valleys of the pulleys.. if the sides are rough, they'll chew up a V-belt fairly quickly. That might be why someone chose to put a urethane belt on it.

I checked the belt on my 3 year old import 4 x 6 saw, and it's a good fit for a 4L belt. A 24" 4L (4L240) is too long, but a 23 1/2" would be good (a

23" might fit).

The numbers on the original Chinese belt are XK13 A-520 2000-03 (0)

034-0221

WB ...............

Reply to
Wild Bill

Per label on bandsaw:

Master Service, distributed by Central Hardware Made in Taiwan Mfg'd 1986

The belt configuration is round Belt diameter is 1/4 inch Inside length approx. 25 inches

The broken belt is long gone, but I did not 'see' any internal reinforcement.

Thanks in advance,

Lurker It was much harder than the present replacement

Reply to
lurker

McMaster-Carr part number 3044K195 is 1/4" dia x 22" long urethane - $4.75/ea.

10% installed stretch is usually about right for this type of belt.

More on catalog p.934, as well as unspliced lengths of belting.

Your replacement sounds like neoprene/buna, which will be softer than the urethane belt. (likely shore A70 vs A83)

Ned

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Thanks Ned,

I finally found the receipt for purchasing the belt in question. It came from McMaster Carr, and not a 'Gates' as I originally stated.

Checking the part number, it is Neoprene shore a:70.

I'll check into McMaster Carr part number 3044K195 (1/4" dia x 22" long) which you found. Sounds exactly what I need, and the price is right.

I did run across Berg's 'Pulley Belt' 1/4 Dia. Elastomer compound, Buna-N with choice of 70A Durometer (15% belt length stretch) or 90A Durometer (7% belt length stretch). Their $50.00 minimum order was a bit much though.

Thanks aga>

Reply to
lurker