Adept lathes

Been given this adept lathe to look after ..and get ready for sale, by owner who lives across the road .

It has no counter pulley set ...

But it does have a 6000 rpm brushed motor that looks like it belongs to it...eg has adjustment mechanism and two pulley set ..

Would they have been sold like this ?..

Anyway looks like it's hardly had any use .

And I'm struggling to make a new belt for it ...I've got the right o-ring material for it ...but no matter how hard i try ...i cant seem to super-glue it..and that's with two different makes of super glue and fresh surfaces each time.

Damn that advert, they used to show! with an gymnast cutting one up and glueing it back together in an instant.

I remember reading somewhere ...that you could use a red hot knife or something to heat the two ends up and weld them together ...if anyone knows where this article is ..could you point me to it .

all the best.markj

Reply to
mark

I think there's a brief tutorial on lathes.co.uk under a section about belts. I don't think you want to be red hot, 300C should be more than enough for PU which is what a lot of belts are made from, quite likely if you can't glue it. Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

Mark; George Thomas and originally the Universal Pillar Tool book which was amalgamated into Workshop Techniques.

Of course, your/its motor is simply too fast as it is only a cast iron bearing. 1/2" diameter and a soft spindle if I recall mine.

It's a bit of a mangle as the 3 jaw chuck is an independent and not an SC one- and so is the 4 jaw. I think that my pair of chucks are still around. The top slide went onto the Quorn!

Would make the basis of a rather nice T&C grinder- methinks

Cheers

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Mark, Re the layshaft etc- look it up in Lathes.co.uk.

I'm sure that this will put the thing into prespective.

Apologies for not giving the info. before. The Internet wasn't around when I had mine!

Cheers

ravensworth2674

The message from mark contains these words:

Mark, I have not tried glueing but I have used the hot knife method without any problems. There is a useful discription of the technique at

I used a hot blade, nowhere near red, but hot enough to melt the belt. Bill

Reply to
William J Lamond

The hot blade technique is normal for small watchmaker's lathes, though it took me a while to get it right. Use a thick blade (0.125" at least) so that it doesn't cool as soon as the flame is withdrawn, heat it only until the PU belt melts slowly, (if it chars or smokes or liquifies it is too hot), hold both belts ends on the hot metal until the plastic starts to mushroom out, press the ends together and hold them motionless while the joint cools. The mushroomed joint can be trimmed with a sharp knife or smeared down with a hot blade.

Cliff Coggin.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

ok thanks guys .

not much use glueing it or hot welding it ..if the motor speeds 6000 rpm and its going to burn the bearings out.

all the best.markj

Reply to
mark

I used an old knife held in the vice and warmed it up with a blowlamp.

Place each end of the belt onto opposite sides of the knife and as they start to melt slide them off the cutting edge of the knife and push together until the joint solidifies.Trim excess with a sharp blade.

Good enough for my Dore-Westbury,still going strong after several years although I sometimes have to shorten it to allow for stretch.

If you can get a suitable oversize rubber "O" ring you can super glue the cut ends together.Works on the little Toyo lathe I have.I think you can probably still buy the rubber "O" ring material by length which is what a replacement belt was made from.

Allan

Reply to
Allan Waterfall

From what I recall of the Adept lathes back in the 1940s, they were driven by a flat belt.

Would not some of the segmented belts discussed here recently be more appropriate, especially as they'd not cause any difficulty in jointing?

Reply to
David "Billy" Williams

Doesn't look like it.

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

My Adept is definitely not a flat belt drive.

Reply to
Steve

It must be over 50 years since I saw one, so sorry

Reply to
David "Billy" Williams