Milling a Tree - Somewhat OT, but Engineering-ish

I would be interested to hear if anyone has any bright ideas for milling a tree into boards. In the field adjacent to my parents house there is a dead oak tree from which I have gradually removed all the minor branches for firewood over this winter.

What is left is the whole, largely cylindrical bole around 11' long and 30" in diameter weighing an estimated ton and a half. I could chainsaw it up and use it for firewood, but it seems a waste of near criminal proportions to abuse 250 years worth of naturally seasoned (it's been standing, dead for around 20 years) prime English oak in that fashion. It is beautiful timber, if you like that sort of thing.

BUT, I can't imagine any commercial mill would be interested. Extracting it from the field would be possible with a Hiab or similar

- access is reasonable if I mended the gate, 'though it's pretty boggy right now. It's just possible I might get it onto a tractor trailer, but by the time I get it to a mill I imagine the costs will be around the same as buying the timber, but I may be wrong.

I have seen photos (somewhere in the past) of a horizontal bandsaw sort of device that can be fitted to a felled tree and crudely mill it in situ. Anyone know of such a device? Could it be hired? Any of the old tractor fraternity have anything likely and fancy a day out playing with their toys to do a real job? I'm in mid-Kent BTW.

TIA

Richard

Reply to
Richard Shute

... looks like a public appeal for help for a conspiracy to steal timber that rightly belngs to the farmer.

Reply to
David "Billy" Williams

Sorry to spoil you fun, Billy, my parents (the 'farmers' if you wish) own the land and the tree......

Reply to
Richard Shute

I agree it would be a terrible waste to burn it, but I don't think standing dead in a field for 20 years counts as naturally seasoned because of the natural moisture inside, in fact the heartwood could well have rotted. To season the wood it needs to be cut and then stored in dry conditions for another ten years, or kiln dried for a few months. I hope I am wrong.

Cliff Coggin.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

Such machines do exist - I saw one being demonstrated at a woodland event last year - I was impressed with it - corner posts supported two rails which were runners for the horizontal chain saw - which had a longer chain than most chain saws but far fewer teeth.

As for finding one - it was being demonstrated by a community woodland work project for people with learning difficulties - any similar organisations you could ask - agricultural suppliers - other farmers?

Could you track down the suppliers and ask for a demo?

Russell

Reply to
Russell

As others have said, there's a fair chance that after 20 years on the ground it has rotted rather than seasoned.

There are two versions of what you are looking for. One is a chainsaw mill - effectively a long bar chain saw with two motors and a frame with rollers on it which initially runs on a ladder nailed to the tree and cuts a flat surface. It then runs on the newly created surface to cut planks. Wasteful for thin planks because you lose about 8mm of wood in every cut. Needs special chain as normal saw chain is sharpened fro cross cutting and jams up quickly if you try to rip cut.

The alternative is a similar gadget which uses a big wide-blade bandsaw on its side in much the same way.

Try e.g.:

These guys hire out a mobile bandsaw mill and will come and do your tree on site.

Be aware that old trees from farmland often have lumps of metal buried in them and you'll be responsible for the cost of any replacement blades.

Reply to
Norman Billingham

Have a look at

Don't know the prices though.

Rick... (The other Rick)

Science and sound engineering will always prevail in the end "for nature cannot be fooled" [Feynman]

Reply to
Rick... (The other Rick)

I have had this done with a (smaller) cherry tree. There should be someone in your vicinity with a mobile saw-mill. To find it, start by talking to a tree surgeon. He will probably have a mate who knows somebody. Here is an example:

Charles Lamont

You'd steal from your parents ??!!

Reply to
Boo

How about your local Steam enthusiasts? They might relish the challenge of turning up with a traction engine and a saw bench.

You might even be able to sell tickets to watch!!!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Whittome

AndyN

A tree surgeon! What an excellent suggestion, just wish I'd though of it. And the other links and replies. Thanks all.

By the way, I accept that the tree may not 'seasoned' as such, but it is certainly not rotten, it was standing till less than a month ago and at both the base and at the top it is in excellent condition through to the core, hence my desire not to let it go waste.

Rgds Richard

Reply to
Richard Shute

Wow! You could do some real damage with that! Not cheap, but not stupidly expensive either. Question is.... how to smuggle it past the management!

Excellent l>

Reply to
Richard Shute

Hi Richard, Another source of help might be your local wood turning club. Be warned though that the wood might mot be as valuanle as you might hope. In the round it is worth peanuts compared to sawn seasoned and retailed! Ned Ludd

Reply to
ned ludd

...... and have you sought their permission to remove the wood or are you stealing it from them and seeking to imbrangle the readership of tis NG into your conspiracy?

Reply to
David "Billy" Williams

Do check carefully what species of oak it is. Some are near useless for sawn timber.

hth

Reply to
Roland Craven

"David "Billy" Williams" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.x-privat.org...

"Imbrangle"? Sounds like someone needs to learn English.

Cliff Coggin.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

It is a brave man who admits to ignorance of his mother tongue.

It is a fool who accuses others of ignorance of their mother tongue whilst at the same time shouting out his own ignorance from the rooftops. .

Reply to
David "Billy" Williams

The existence of a word does not guarantee that its use in a given sentence is meaningful .

Come back when you've got something relevant to contribute.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

That's your problem, I've had no use for one myself but came across it the other night while searching for a new chainsaw.

Andy

Reply to
AndyN