Milling a Tree - Somewhat OT, but Engineering-ish

I would be interested to hear if anyone has any bright ideas for milling a tree into boards. In the field adjacent to my parents house
there is a dead oak tree from which I have gradually removed all the minor branches for firewood over this winter.
What is left is the whole, largely cylindrical bole around 11' long and 30" in diameter weighing an estimated ton and a half. I could chainsaw it up and use it for firewood, but it seems a waste of near criminal proportions to abuse 250 years worth of naturally seasoned (it's been standing, dead for around 20 years) prime English oak in that fashion. It is beautiful timber, if you like that sort of thing.
BUT, I can't imagine any commercial mill would be interested. Extracting it from the field would be possible with a Hiab or similar - access is reasonable if I mended the gate, 'though it's pretty boggy right now. It's just possible I might get it onto a tractor trailer, but by the time I get it to a mill I imagine the costs will be around the same as buying the timber, but I may be wrong.
I have seen photos (somewhere in the past) of a horizontal bandsaw sort of device that can be fitted to a felled tree and crudely mill it in situ. Anyone know of such a device? Could it be hired? Any of the old tractor fraternity have anything likely and fancy a day out playing with their toys to do a real job? I'm in mid-Kent BTW.
TIA
Richard

... looks like a public appeal for help for a conspiracy to steal timber that rightly belngs to the farmer.
On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 08:47:53 -0000, "David \"Billy\" Williams"

Sorry to spoil you fun, Billy, my parents (the 'farmers' if you wish) own the land and the tree......
Richard Shute wrote:

Such machines do exist - I saw one being demonstrated at a woodland event last year - I was impressed with it - corner posts supported two rails which were runners for the horizontal chain saw - which had a longer chain than most chain saws but far fewer teeth.
As for finding one - it was being demonstrated by a community woodland work project for people with learning difficulties - any similar organisations you could ask - agricultural suppliers - other farmers?
Could you track down the suppliers and ask for a demo?
Russell

You'd steal from your parents ??!!
</kidding>
--
Boo

...... and have you sought their permission to remove the wood or are you stealing it from them and seeking to imbrangle the readership of tis NG into your conspiracy?
message

"Imbrangle"? Sounds like someone needs to learn English.
Cliff Coggin.

It is a brave man who admits to ignorance of his mother tongue.
It is a fool who accuses others of ignorance of their mother tongue whilst at the same time shouting out his own ignorance from the rooftops. .
On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 09:26:19 -0000, "David \"Billy\" Williams"

The existence of a word does not guarantee that its use in a given sentence is meaningful .
Come back when you've got something relevant to contribute.
<PLONK>
Mark Rand RTFM

The word is listed in my family's dictionary and correctly used above.
It is the same dictionary that I was using in 1947 when preparing for my Higher School Certificate.
I have always prided myself on being a law-abiding citizen and am surprised that a caution to the readership that they might inadvertently get swept up into a theft conspiracy should obtain such a reception.
message

It takes an even bigger fool to confuse the American language with English.
Cliff.

Or an even bigger fool, and someone with a tendency for rudeness, to think that English words are American in origin?
As I indicated in another post, when I took my Higher School Certificate, it was with my Family's dictionary at my side, "Nuttall's Standard Dictionary of the English Language", 1923 edition which gives the meaning of, "imbrangle" as, "to entangle"
I'm sorry, Sir, but I just don't understand the vitriol with which you have attacked my cautionary advice to others that they might find themselves inadvertently caught up in something unlawful. Are you a habitual criminal?
Perhaps you'd just had a bad day and had broken off a tap in something you'd spent the whole week making?

I thought I was being funny when I made my similar post but this guy has beaten me hands down :-)
Your imbrangled friend,
--
Boo

I agree it would be a terrible waste to burn it, but I don't think standing dead in a field for 20 years counts as naturally seasoned because of the natural moisture inside, in fact the heartwood could well have rotted. To season the wood it needs to be cut and then stored in dry conditions for another ten years, or kiln dried for a few months. I hope I am wrong.
Cliff Coggin.

As others have said, there's a fair chance that after 20 years on the ground it has rotted rather than seasoned.
There are two versions of what you are looking for. One is a chainsaw mill - effectively a long bar chain saw with two motors and a frame with rollers on it which initially runs on a ladder nailed to the tree and cuts a flat surface. It then runs on the newly created surface to cut planks. Wasteful for thin planks because you lose about 8mm of wood in every cut. Needs special chain as normal saw chain is sharpened fro cross cutting and jams up quickly if you try to rip cut.
The alternative is a similar gadget which uses a big wide-blade bandsaw on its side in much the same way.
Try e.g.:
http://www.timberresources.co.uk/Home.html
These guys hire out a mobile bandsaw mill and will come and do your tree on site.
Be aware that old trees from farmland often have lumps of metal buried in them and you'll be responsible for the cost of any replacement blades.
On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 08:42:04 +0000, Richard Shute

Have a look at http://mobilesawmill.biz/index.htm
Don't know the prices though.
Rick... (The other Rick)
Science and sound engineering will always prevail in the end "for nature cannot be fooled" [Feynman]
Richard Shute wrote:

I have had this done with a (smaller) cherry tree. There should be someone in your vicinity with a mobile saw-mill. To find it, start by talking to a tree surgeon. He will probably have a mate who knows somebody. Here is an example:
http://www.ecotreecare.co.uk/portable_sawmilling.htm
--
Charles Lamont

How about your local Steam enthusiasts? They might relish the challenge of turning up with a traction engine and a saw bench.
You might even be able to sell tickets to watch!!!
Mike
--
Mike Whittome

A tree surgeon! What an excellent suggestion, just wish I'd though of it. And the other links and replies. Thanks all.
By the way, I accept that the tree may not 'seasoned' as such, but it is certainly not rotten, it was standing till less than a month ago and at both the base and at the top it is in excellent condition through to the core, hence my desire not to let it go waste.
Rgds Richard
On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 12:01:27 +0000, Charles Lamont

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/alaskan-mill__W0QQfcdZ2QQfclZ4QQfromZR10QQfrppZ30QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ2QQsaselZ67432875QQsofpZ0

Site Timeline

  • - the site's newest thread. Posted in