Milling a Tree - Somewhat OT, but Engineering-ish

Wow! You could do some real damage with that! Not cheap, but not stupidly expensive either. Question is.... how to smuggle it past the
management!
Excellent link, thanks. Richard

That's your problem, I've had no use for one myself but came across it the other night while searching for a new chainsaw.
Andy
AndyN wrote:

I've milled a few trees (around 24"-40" oak, ash, sycamore) by splitting in to convenient sizes (ie, moveable!) with half a dozen wedges and a 14lb sledge hammer.
Then I just ran it through the 14" bandsaw with a 1 inch rip blade.
bigegg wrote:

Just to add - you only need 1 steel wedge to start the split, you can then use wooden (oak is good if you know where to lay your hands on some!) wedges to continue the split.
I actually use an old hatchet as my starting wedge
Richard Shute Wrote:

Hi Richard, Another source of help might be your local wood turning club. Be warned though that the wood might mot be as valuanle as you might hope. In the round it is worth peanuts compared to sawn seasoned and retailed! Ned Ludd
--
ned ludd
Do check carefully what species of oak it is. Some are near useless for sawn timber.