Milling a Tree - Somewhat OT, but Engineering-ish

I thought I was being funny when I made my similar post but this guy has beaten me hands down :-)

Your imbrangled friend,

Reply to
Boo

I've milled a few trees (around 24"-40" oak, ash, sycamore) by splitting in to convenient sizes (ie, moveable!) with half a dozen wedges and a

14lb sledge hammer.

Then I just ran it through the 14" bandsaw with a 1 inch rip blade.

Reply to
bigegg

Just to add - you only need 1 steel wedge to start the split, you can then use wooden (oak is good if you know where to lay your hands on some!) wedges to continue the split.

I actually use an old hatchet as my starting wedge

Reply to
bigegg

The word is listed in my family's dictionary and correctly used above.

It is the same dictionary that I was using in 1947 when preparing for my Higher School Certificate.

I have always prided myself on being a law-abiding citizen and am surprised that a caution to the readership that they might inadvertently get swept up into a theft conspiracy should obtain such a reception.

Reply to
David "Billy" Williams

It takes an even bigger fool to confuse the American language with English.

Cliff.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

Or an even bigger fool, and someone with a tendency for rudeness, to think that English words are American in origin?

As I indicated in another post, when I took my Higher School Certificate, it was with my Family's dictionary at my side, "Nuttall's Standard Dictionary of the English Language", 1923 edition which gives the meaning of, "imbrangle" as, "to entangle"

I'm sorry, Sir, but I just don't understand the vitriol with which you have attacked my cautionary advice to others that they might find themselves inadvertently caught up in something unlawful. Are you a habitual criminal?

Perhaps you'd just had a bad day and had broken off a tap in something you'd spent the whole week making?

Reply to
David "Billy" Williams