Banning Incandescent Light bulbs

Reply to
fredfighter

I too doubt that indodor household lighting is a substantial part of our energy budget.

Reply to
fredfighter

There is plenty of information available online about Martian climate change.

Reply to
fredfighter

Indeed there is. And yet the global warming buffoons continue to blame it on SUVs and so forth.

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

Could you direct me to one of those buffoons who blames Martian global warming on SUVs?

If you like, I can direct you to sources that show that the solar output has decreased over the last five terrestrial years, during which Mars has been warming. That would be about three Martian rears or 35 dog years.

Reply to
fredfighter

It needs to be the only light source otherwise the effect will be very subtle.

Reply to
fredfighter

Indeed. Ive tried it in all ways.

Shrug

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

According to Gunner :

Some tubes have a longer decay phosphor than others do. (I'm not sure where cool white falls in that spectrum.

And if you have an electronic ballast, instead of the older transformer ballast, the frequency will be too high for the phosphor to have any chance at decaying.

I've seen slight examples of the strobing -- but I see a lot better examples with the GR Strobotac as the primary source of illumination.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

So then you would agree with me..that strobing as a result of florescent lighting is pretty much a non issue these days?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Hasn't been a problem for several decades :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Then why all the hoopla about it?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Sorry if this has been posted, this thread is too long. ;-)

"GE Announces Advancement in Incandescent Technology; New High-Efficiency Lamps Targeted for Market by 2010"

"CLEVELAND--(BUSINESS WIRE)--GE Consumer & Industrial's Lighting division, a world leader in the development of energy-efficient lighting products, today announced advancements to the light bulb invented by GE's founder Thomas Edison that potentially will elevate the energy efficiency of this

125-year-old technology to levels comparable to compact fluorescent lamps (CFL), delivering significant environmental benefits. Over the next several years, these advancements will lead to the introduction of high-efficiency incandescent lamps that provide the same high light quality, brightness and color as current incandescent lamps while saving energy and decreasing greenhouse gas emissions."

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

That's what I couldn't understand

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

According to Gunner :

With a modern electronic ballast -- yes. Otherwise, depending on the choice of phosphor -- maybe still a problem. And - the bulbs are not marketed with information about the phosphor decay times -- for most people it does not matter.

Just for comparison -- I've got a monkey's-fist one in the floor lamp beside my chair. My wife has a two-tube one on top of the shelf above her desk, facing up and bouncing off the ceiling. If I turn my lamp off, I can see the strobing by waving my hand between the illuminated area of the ceiling and my eyes. However, if I turn my lamp back on, my hand has the normal number of fingers, even when I wave it back and forth.

So -- are *your* lamps fitted with electronic ballasts or the old traditional ones -- long black metal-covered transformers filled with tar and with separate starters? If so, you should expect strobing when they are the sole source of illumination. However, with electronic ones, don't expect anything. (If you have a scope and a photocell or photodiode, try setting it up to measure the light and look for a 120 Hz component to the light. The greater it is, the more likely the strobe effect will be visible.

Oh yes -- if you are running fluorescents from three separate phases, you will likely not see it at all, as the three will fill in for each other and make the phosphor need to have a much faster decay time to make anything visible. (And -- make the required speed for standstill three times as fast as well.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

[ ... ]

[ ... ]

Several decade old lamps?

Also -- there still *are* lamps which demonstrate a pronounced strobe effect, including the one on my wife's desk which was bought only a few years ago. (it was made for surface mounting, but it does its job here better facing up and bouncing off the ceiling.)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 16:31:55 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

Why all the hoopla about GAK and GCK? Ignorance is ignorance.

(Gun Control, kumbaya)

Reply to
Larry Jaques