Bearing advice

We are designing a bearing housing and since I'm not a bearing expert I could use a recommendation on some of the dimensions. The two bearings we need to use is are a DIN 635 T2 - 222 24 (120mm ID X 215mm OD X 58mm Width), and a DIN 635 T2 - 230 24 (120mm ID X 180mm OD X

46mm Width).

I'm asking if anyone has a recommendation for the fit of the housing? We only need a loose fit, but I don't know the dimensions and the tolerances I should use. Thanks in advance.

Joe

Reply to
hoser_71

A question for your bearing supplier.. If not, any bearing engineering handbook have dimensions and tolerances. For the load capacity of that bearing, I wouldn't be inclined toward a "loose fit"

Tom

Reply to
Tom

One rule of thumb for press fits is one mil per inch of diameter, that is 0.1% interference.

So for your 222 bearing the 215 mm OD would be reduced by 0.215mm for a bore of

214.785 mm or 214.8 mm. That's assuming the bearing actually _measures_ 215 mm. You have to measure the bearing one way or another, either on reciept to verify conformance to standards, or at design time to determine the fit, or at the last possible moment, just before installation, to prevent a train wreck.

But like Tom said, consult the manufacturer. They might want to know the alloy the housing is made of and the wall thickness of the boss around the bearing.

My senior project at ODU: Google Groups, then "dgoncz" and some of: ultracapacitor bicycle fluorescent flywheel inverter Equipped with BoBike Mini removable child seat, too!

Reply to
Doug Goncz

hoser snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (hoser_71) wrote in news:9f820173.0401141340.35557191 @posting.google.com:

I agree, with the load capacity of that bearing, I would not recommend a 'loose' fit. You definately need to consult your bearing manufacturer's catalog for the bearing tolerances before making your decision on the hole tolerance.

Reply to
Anthony

|We are designing a bearing housing and since I'm not a bearing expert |I could use a recommendation on some of the dimensions. The two |bearings we need to use is are a DIN 635 T2 - 222 24 (120mm ID X 215mm |OD X 58mm Width), and a DIN 635 T2 - 230 24 (120mm ID X 180mm OD X |46mm Width). | |I'm asking if anyone has a recommendation for the fit of the housing? |We only need a loose fit, but I don't know the dimensions and the |tolerances I should use. Thanks in advance. | |Joe

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Hey Joe,

Not huge, but fair sized there, and no doubt worth a few bucks if new. I'd be at least inclined to see if the bearing supplier had a housing for them, pillow-block or flange or whatever, and get a price. Or "borrow" one from him and measure it.

Take care.

Brian Laws>We are designing a bearing housing and since I'm not a bearing expert

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Follow the bearing manufacturer recommendations. Generally the fit on the shaft is a tight fit. The fit in the housing can be a looser fit, also one of the two bearings in an housing must be free to axially move in the housing to allow for expansion and contraction of the shaft as a result of temperature variations. That one is called the free bearing. The other one must be axially trapped and is called the 'held' bearing. Typically for a ball bearing the OD could be .0004 to .0034" loose. However I repeat here: Follow the bearing manufacturer recommendations.

Reply to
John

Thanks everyone for the help.

Joe

Reply to
hoser_71

Go to

Then click on "Products" then go down to "DETAILED ENGINEERING KNOWLEDGE BASE" then go down to the "NTN Ball & Roller Bearing Engineering Technical Data" section and part 7 is "Bearing Fits" This should give you all the info you need. If you need help, call and ask for engineering and someone can help you. Good luck.

Reply to
Tom