Bending Metal Cheaply?

I found this on Harbor Freight
realize this is not a nice metal bender, but I'm poor and I'm not looking
for anything great. I'm dealing with usually 24 guage Stainless Steel or
Aluminum. I know that a lot of products from Harborfreight aren't worth the
money (Welder's come to mind, know this one from experience), but this
seemed simple enough and I don't have any serious uses for this other than
bending metal at 0-90 degrees so I thought this might work. Can anyone think
of a reason why this wouldn't work for what I'm trying to do? Thanks for any
help.
-Nebruin
Metal Noob.
Reply to
Zipper
Not a 'spert, but the problem might not be so much w/ HF as w/ the technique, esp. w/ pita stuff like SS. A lot will depend on the radius of your bend, and proly on the type of SS itself. Mercifully, you have thin gauge, altho you didn't specify diam.
Prof'l bending places use all kinds of ancillary stuff, like external springs, internal sand (kinking), heat, mebbe tension, who knows what else.
You can't generally bend stuff like electricians bend their EMT tubing, unless the radius is much larger. And even w/ that mat'l designed for relatively tight radius bends, you see crinkling/kinking, etc.
Again, a lot depends on the radius of the bend. Oh, and HF-quality proly don't help, either, altho I've been buyin a lot of stuff from them, and if I don't raise my expectations too high, I'm usually not too disappointed. Sorta haveta to know what you can "get away with", with them. Yeah, and welders is proly not one of them. A bender you can proly get by with... ---------------------------- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll
Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®
You will find the folding type brakes don't produce as tight a radius as the die-forming type. It's unlikely this little brake can bend 16 gauge with any uniformity. And it won't do box bends. But for $22.,what the heck. JR Dweller in the cellar
Zipper wrote:
Reply to
JR North
It'll proly do the alum, depending on the hardness. electricians bend alum electrical tube as well, about 1/8 wall. ---------------------------- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll
Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®
It should bend 24-gage aluminum or stainless with no problem.
Reply to
Don Foreman
I have the 30" version of this bender and it is quite capable. I prefer these steel versions to the more expensive aluminum version that some companies offer. The bender is more versatile than might be expected. It is slow to setup each bend, since the clamping bar is loose and has to be positioned and held down with C clamps. You could easily rig some guide rods to keep it in place if you wanted. But, this style of clamp bar has a bonus, it allows you to perform box bends by just substituting a shorter clamp bar. I use 1/4" x 1 1/2" flat stock, cut to the length needed to fit inside the side bends. With this method you can bend boxes with the sides of any height.
Dennis
Reply to
Dennis Thompson