Bent spindle

yup.. thats the one.
Gunner

Because he says the bottom of the spindle still has about two tenths rounout, this is a possible approach.
HOWEVER:
Taking an M head spindle apart is a tad tricky. He needs to get the entire spindle free from the bearings, spacers, and quill for this to work possibly.
He'll need to make a special wrench to undo the locknut at the top of the bearing stack, and then work up something to undo the cap nut at the bottom.
If he removes any of the bearings off the spindle (there are four, two close together at the bottom and two farther apart at the top) he has to mark them so they go back in in the same spot, in the *same* orientation - facing up, or down. He also has to mark the spacers and put them in the same way, I would suggest.
If the bent portion is confined to the splined upper section that would be best because he could probably leave the bearings on the spindle. Removing them risks damage because some of them require the press-off force to be applied through the balls.
The lower two bearings are the critical ones, the upper two are basically electric motor grade and could be replaced if needed. If he does that, do NOT use sealed bearings, as the lower ones get their lube via drip through the upper ones.
Jim
please reply to:
Gunner Asch says...

is
it
it
head
can
it
Thanks for the treatise on disassembling the head, Jim. I didn't get Gunners post, but it was quoted. I'm expecting the UPS inspector in the shop today or tomorrow. Then I'll know what I can afford to do. Tom

Don't take it apart unless you have b'ports exploded view diagram. Let me know if you can't find one.
The M heads really are a bit of precision work, I was very impressed with what was inside when I took mine apart.
They're also sort of ship-in-a-bottle, there's really only one disassembly sequence that actually results in a completely dismantled M head on your bench.
Jim
please reply to:
Tom Wait says...

Gunners
today
There was one in the files of the Bridgeport group on yahoo. I found it the other day but couldn't read it, it was so small. I planned on saving it later and blowing it up, but it seems to have disappeared. At least I couldn't access it again last night. If you have one, I'd appreciate a copy, electronic or paper. Naturally I'd pay for any expenses. Tom

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 02:01:53 -0800, "PrecisionMachinisT"

Shrug....the M head is not known for its structural dynamics..<G> and if you drop the thing off a truck just the right way..and if the packaging (alleged to be adequate for most shipping) collapesed in just the right way..its entirely possible to bend shit. Ive worked on far too many old machines that came out of high school machine shops to ever think any machine is " bullet proof" to rough handling. Even uninentionally. Frankly..if any head was gonna get bent..Id say it would be the M, or the Rushnock, or even the Diamond.
Its entirely possible the seller sold him a bill of goods, and it had been run into with a forklift, but...shrug...most sellers are pretty honest, particularly in the hobby world. To some of these guys...their machines have become additional children to nurture and take care of...so shrug.
Gunner

They made a special high-speed version with a flat, rather than V belt. I don't think the regular one goes that fast.
Jim
please reply to: