die grinder accessories

Yesterday, I went out and bought two die grinders. One is a Makita GE0600, the other a small $10 cheapo mini air grinder.

I did pick up a pack of ten grinding heads. Some are round, some are triangular. Already one head has come loose from the shaft.

Can anyone recommend a brand or source of these grinding heads that are better quality? I see all these types of grinding heads all over the place, and for the most part, I think they are cheap crap. I don't want to spend a lot on them, but realize that I will have to spend more than what they want for the cheapest at HF and similar places.

What do you guys use, and where do you get them? I mostly need smallish 1" to 1 1/2" diameter flat stones about 1/8" thick. 1/4" shaft. But I do need some others, a mix of conical, round, barrel, etc. I know that at 25,000 rpm they will burn up fast. I don't expect a lot from them, a long life, but I think they should last longer than five minutes before the head comes off.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Try Congress Tools, Naugatuck, CT -always treated me well.

bamboo

Consider carbide burrs as an alterntive to the grinding heads, work much faster and last longer. I buy mine from Enco.

Richard

SteveB wrote:

Reply to
Richard Ferguson

Do they also work when removing welds and such, on mild steel? I have some and will give them a try. I used them for wood before.

Ignoramus8325

A definite yes as long as they're "carbide" burrs. HSS won't last but a few seconds at die grinder speeds on steel. In fact I've used them on hardened steel before though that does shorten there life considerable. Other than that they last a very long time if not abused (mostly chatter and running around in a hole is what does them in).

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Thanks. Mine are carbide burrs. I will try them, it's a great idea. I did ruin one by running it around in a hole.

Ignoramus8325

I should add that I need wheels to finely finish welds, and I also need a few to do some wood. But mainly for steel. I will buy some carbide and I have seen some cheap diamond bits, and for wood, they should be okay. I don't think they are intended for use on metal, are they?

Reply to
SteveB

Yes, I use carbide bits on mild steel without problems. They are actually intended for use on steel, at least the ones I buy from Enco.

If you are trying to grind welds flat and smooth, use a right angle die grinder with a 2" (or other size) roloc mount, and then use roloc sanding disks to sand the weld smooth. Works great, the roloc allows quick change of sanding grits, or use the roloc Scotchbrite disks.

Richard

Richard Fergus> Consider carbide burrs as an alterntive to the grinding heads, work much

Reply to
Richard Ferguson

I've bought small ginding points from MSC, they've lasted well. Cheaper in bulk. The local HF store had some decent branded 1/8" shaft assortments on the peg last time I was in, too. For finishing work, I like flap wheels, I get those from the local welding supply. One advantage of the pneumatic grinders is you can throttle them down with a suitable valve, HF sells such an animal, cheap. Usually combined with a swivel, so I just stick a short whip on there with quick-connects on both ends.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Actually, Steve, the El Cheapo diamonds from Homier/Cummins, et. al., work rather nicely on steel, especially when used *without* any lubricant/coolant.

I've had [what I consider] good luck using the 1/4" shank ones in die grinder, drill, and router and the 1/8" shank ones in Dremel, etc., tools.

Given their [current] low prices, I use them almost exclusively.

ps. They also work well on glass, ceramic, etc.

Reply to
RAM^3