Best paint remover from socket screws ?

I have to take apart a dozen small tooling fixtures which are fastened together with deeply countersunk socket head cap screws and socket set screws. Unfortunately, the fixtures and fasteners were all painted with a pretty think paint (krylon fusion). Any ideas ?

Marcel

Reply to
Marcel Gonzalez

laquer thinner or possibly a spray can of brake cleaner. squirt a little on, let it sit a moment to soften the paint (IIRC krylon is acrylic) and use the allen key to clean it's own path.

Reply to
bridger

If you don't care about the overall finish, or plan to repaint in any case, you might try a drop of brake fluid in each. Let it sit for a bit and the paint should come right out -- or whatever's left of it.

Al Moore

Reply to
Alan Moore

I believe I'd start with methyl alcohol. You can buy it at the hardware store in 1 gal cans. If it's not labeled as such, look for lacquer thinner.

I'd stay away from paint strippers that have acid in them, though. They might corrode the metal and do more harm than good.

If the alcohol doesn't work, the next thing I'd try would be brake fluid.

HTH, Scotty

Reply to
Scotty

99 store oven cleaner. Use outdoors.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

At a home supply store you can find these spring wire stays to keep insulation in between wood studs. They are made of great steel! I use them all the time to make little tools, and they are hardenable. Grind one to a small pointy knife blade, heat it up and with one twist and the bolt head is clean. This way you won't disturb the rest of the paint-job

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I'm with Tom. I pick the paint out. I tend to use dental tools--I go in for cleaning every six months and I always ask them for worn dental tools. I find that many times I get lucky and the paint down inside the SHCS sort of pops out in one piece.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Along with a wire pick, I would suggest a little heat. Paint gets really soft when it's hot.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Yep. Put the items in the oven and turn up the heat till the paint softens.

The only other advice I could give to the gent is, "go find the guy who painted the friggin things, and have *him* take them apart!!"

Jim

jim rozen

I would try softening the paint chemically. I've also had good luck using Bondhus wrenches, using the ball end. The ball end seems to work better on cruddy bolts.

Jim Kovar Vulcan, Mi

Reply to
Jim Kovar

Although mechanically removing the paint would be probably be the best way, if you do use a stripper an NMP-based stripper, particularly mixed with soy, is a safer and less noxious product than a traditional formulation.

Reply to
ATP

I used oven cleaner to clean the finish (Oil) from my Garand M-1 rifle. Worked slick... Brushed it on, rinsed it off. Used two applications.

My friend tho't it was a great idea so he tried it. Put the wet stock in a waste basket to dry, then went to work. When he got home he found that the cleaning lady had put the stock out for the garbage (it was in the waste basket). Naturally the garbage truck had come and gone...

Reply to
Paul

Try fingernail polish remover.

Reply to