Beyond spud guns

Here's a new hobby idea for the hard-core 2nd-Amendment types, who lust over loaded howitzers as lawn ornaments, and MANPADS for duck hunting, etc.:

ARDEC Engineers Using 3-D Printing To Revolutionize Shaped Charge Explosives. The AP (7/31, Ernst) reports that researchers at the US Army Armament Research, Development, and Engineering Center believe that 3-D printing ?will present security experts and policy makers with capabilities previously unimaginable.? The AP quotes James Zunino, materials engineer with the center, saying, ?Once you get into detonation physics, you open up a whole new universe.? The piece reports that Zunino?s work ?involves figuring out how different layers of explosive material can be packaged in new shapes to get a very specific result.?

Reply to
Ed Huntress

If they could only 3-D print Plutonium...

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

If they could only 3-D print Plutonium...

[Ed]

Be careful what you wish for....

Reply to
Ed Huntress

It ought to be easy with these multi-nozzle printers. You just fill one hopper with electrons, one with protons and one with neutrons and have at it.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if, in a hundred or a thousand years, such a machine would actually exist.

Reply to
rangerssuck

rangerssuck fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

IBM did something akin to that way back in 1989. They moved around individual atoms of Xenon on a substrate to spell out "IBM" at scanning- tunneling microscopy size.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Take a look at this - there's some awfully cool stuff going on out there...

rangerssuck

You can pull an electron gun out of the neck of an old CRT and protons are just ionized hydrogen.

You can even buy an antimatter gun:

Leave the Dilithium jewelry at home.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

"Jim Wilkins" on Thu, 31 Jul 2014 09:24:34

-0400 typed >> Here's a new hobby idea for the hard-core 2nd-Amendment types, who

It is being worked on. Maybe not intentionally working on 'printing' Plut parts, but eventually there will be some work with reactive metals. Like Aluminum.

pyotr filipivich

Did they ever state how long they remained where you put them? That would be a way to put permanent serial numbers on expensive components.. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Custom printed aluminum beanies, for the loons?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in news:jaedncieK_TrHUfOnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

components..

Well... xenon might not be the best candidate there, as it's a gas at STP, but I'm sure other atoms - like precious metals - might be manipulated the same way.

The problems are mass and reactivity. Higher electron beam energies to move more massive atoms. Xenon was probably chosen because it is inert and light. No real dangers of its entering into chemical reactions with the substrate, which might move the dots.

Helium might have worked, too, but the atoms are so small that maybe even scanning-tunneling might not have shown them up very well -- if at all.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Jim Wilkins" on Thu, 31 Jul 2014 09:24:34

-0400 typed >> Here's a new hobby idea for the hard-core 2nd-Amendment types, who

It is being worked on. Maybe not intentionally working on 'printing' Plut parts, but eventually there will be some work with reactive metals. Like Aluminum.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I felt it was a Gee-Wiz, PR type of thing when they first announced it. The magazine I saw it in proclaimed it as the perfect computer memory. Useless trade journals strike again! :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" on Thu, 31 Jul 2014

14:15:58 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Proof of concept. "Okay, we know it works, can we do it in a manner which will scale up and be 'commercial'?" Sort of how Henry Ford built a horseless carriage in his shop, but built a factory to churn them out by the hundreds.

tschus pyotr

pyotr filipivich

Michael A. Terrell

Speaking of lawn ornaments Ed, do you know what ever happened to Existential Angst (Kris)?

Reply to
PCS

Speaking of lawn ornaments Ed, do you know what ever happened to Existential Angst (Kris)?

I haven't heard from him for a long time. I'll try sending him email.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

"Michael A. Terrell" on Thu, 31 Jul 2014

23:35:45 -0400 typed >> "Michael A. Terrell" on Thu, 31 Jul 2014

Ah, an oldy, but a goodie.

pyotr filipivich

He tells it like it is. :)

Reply to