Bitter taste in mouth

For almost a week, I am feeling a bitter taste in the back of my mouth, for no good reason. It happened once, when I was polishing
brass and I may have tasted a small amount of brass powder, but nothing like this occurred this time.
On Feb 27, 9:29pm, Ignoramus31412 <ignoramus31...@NOSPAM. 31412.invalid> wrote:

have you taken any antibiotics? I had this after oral implant surgery, and it was almost certainly a side effect of the antibiotics - it's *almost* back to normal now (4 months later). I'm not 100% convinced that it doesn't have something to do with the titanium implants, though.

No, nothing of the sort, no new medication.

I had similar from longish term sleeping tablets. It took a couple of months before foult aste started. It stopped a few days after stopping the mdeication.
Have you found your knife yet? Maybe it's in your head.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110218/ap_on_re_as/as_china_knife_in_head
--
WB

"Ignoramus31412" <ignoramus31412@NOSPAM.31412.invalid> wrote in message

get one of these at walgreens and see what happens
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
the nasty PVC smell from the white tube can be washed off with lots of water and some soaking.
Ignoramus31412 wrote:

If you haven't been doing anything different, or eating anything different, go to the doctor.
They'll either dispel your fears, or get treatment for whatever it is that's happening to you.
A week is _WAY_ too long to have an unexplained bitter taste in your mouth "for no good reason."
But first, see what's changed recently - been buying a different brand of foodstuffs? Any changes in shop procedure? New coolant? Burning motors?
Good Luck! Rich

Brass is Copper and Zink. Try drinking milk, that's supposed to be the treatment for ingesting Zink while welding galvanized. But, it might be just an old-wives tale.
in message

I:
See:
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=%28%22bitter+taste+in+the+back+of+the+mouth%22+OR+%22bitter+taste+in+my+mouth%22%29+symptom *&aq=o&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.1,or.&fp?40f95b1b9c7c0d
Just don't get hypochondriasis reading it.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=%28%22bitter+taste+in+the+back+of+the+mouth%22+OR+%22bitter+taste+in+my+mouth%22%29+symptom *&aq=o&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.1,or.&fp?40f95b1b9c7c0d
Hi Ed, I think that you nailed it.
It was those PINE NUTS that my wife bought recently at Trader Joe's.
http://pinchmysalt.com/2009/05/02/pine-nuts-left-a-bitter-taste-in-my-mouth /
Google search result number one!
You and Google get a prize!

Some more on same:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_nut
``Risks of eating pine nuts A small minority of pine nuts cultivated in China can cause taste disturbances, lasting between few days to maximal a week after consumption. A bitter, metallic taste is described. Though unpleasant, there are no lasting effects. This phenomenon was first described in a scientific paper in 2001[11]. Some publications have made reference to this phenomenon as "pine mouth"[12]. The Nestle Research Centre has hypothesized that a particular species of Chinese pine nuts, Pinus armandii, is the cause of the problem. The suspect species of pine nuts are smaller, duller, and more rounded than typical pine nuts[13]. This finding has recently been confirmed[14]. In 1998 the FAO published a list of edible tree nuts, containing 29 species of pine nuts that are regullarly consumed somewhere in the world[15] and the aforementioned Chinese pine species were not included. Metallic taste disturbance, known as metallogeusia, is typically reported 1–3 days after ingestion, being worse on day 2 and lasting typically up to 2 weeks. Cases are self-limited and resolve without treatment[16] Möller[17] has postulated an hypothesis that could explain why the bitter taste appears several days after ingestion and lasts for as long. A well known physiological process known as enterohepatic recirculation (EHR) could play a key role in the development of PNS.''
http://journals.lww.com/euro-emergencymed/pages/articleviewer.aspx?year 01&issue000&article036&type=fulltext ``A colleague anaesthesiologist experienced two episodes of taste disturbances after pine nut ingestion. At the first time, he just consumed a handful of pine nuts. Two days later, he developed an episode of taste disturbances (bitter, metallic taste). The disturbances lasted a few days. He made a link between pine nuts and the taste disturbances after the second episode when his wife and friends who shared with him a dish prepared with the same pine nuts complained of a persisting bitter taste sensation 2 days after the meal. Examination of the pine nuts revealed they were oxidized and not fit for consumption.''
Ignoramus28206 wrote:

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=%28%22bitter+taste+in+the+back+of+the+mouth%22+OR+%22bitter+taste+in+my+mouth%22%29+symptom *&aq=o&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.1,or.&fp?40f95b1b9c7c0d
http://pinchmysalt.com/2009/05/02/pine-nuts-left-a-bitter-taste-in-my-mouth /
[snipped]
So, what you and The Boss should do is go out into the forest and collect wild pine nuts! :-)
Cheers! Rich
Ignoramus28206 wrote:

Switch to GENUINE NEW MEXICO Pinon (the n needs a ~ over it) nuts. :-) ...lew...

I came home and want to correct myself. These are Chinese pine nuts from Costco.

in message

I:
Tovarich:
You're quite welcome and happy to help. If a person has the brain and time, doing your own research beats a doctor who may neglect to put the right question--or not know enough to ask it.
I was a tad worried you might have had contact with beryllium bronze but your expertise and the divergence of symptomatology removed that from consideration.
Watch out for those bitter almonds though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almond If you communicate your experience to the Costco buyers, you'll do all of us fruit and nut eaters a favor.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 20:37:05 -0800, "Edward Hennessey"

Right, in addition to being extremely fattening, too many nuts can be harmful to your health. Cheers to aflatoxin, cyanide, selenium, allergies, and more!
-- That is what learning is. You suddenly understand something you've understood all your life, but in a new way. -- Doris Lessing

Or Italian pinoli. (Pinus pinea)
LLoyd
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 14:17:40 -0600, Ignoramus28206

OhshityouatethepinenutsproduceddownwindofChernobyl...
-- Invest in America: Buy a CONgresscritter today!