Bluing chromed parts

Is there a chemical method for bluing chromed steel or aluminum? I have
seen color changes when chromed parts such as exhaust pipes are heated,
but in my mind heating does not create very predictable results.
cheers
T.Alan
Reply to
T.Alan Kraus
Aluminum can be anodized and dyed black or painted. It can also be plated with another metal that could be blackened by a existing process. That's about it.
There is a commercial process called black chrome see
I know of no method for direct coloring of existing chrome plate, but I suspect that Brownells Oxynate 84 blacking bath would do it. You could call or email their tech line and ask them.
Randy
Reply to
R. O'Brian
True, but it's not limited to black. Aluminum that has been properly anodized can be dyed pretty much any color one desires.
Harold
Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos
From my limited experience of tempering some steel parts about 16" long in a ceramic kiln at 290C, the colouration should be repeatable and even if the part is clean and the temperature even. The parts I did were all an even blue colour for a spring temper. IIRC the colour change for stainless steel occurs at about 100C more than for steel, might apply to chrome plate also.
T.Alan Kraus wrote:
Reply to
David Billington
Steel can have a black chrome plating so I would expect that chromed steel could have additional chrome plated on which would be black. Google on Black chrome.
Dan
Reply to
dcaster