Bluing chromed parts

Is there a chemical method for bluing chromed steel or aluminum? I have seen color changes when chromed parts such as exhaust pipes are heated, but in my mind heating does not create very predictable results.

cheers T.Alan

Reply to
T.Alan Kraus

Aluminum can be anodized and dyed black or painted. It can also be plated with another metal that could be blackened by a existing process. That's about it.

There is a commercial process called black chrome see

I know of no method for direct coloring of existing chrome plate, but I suspect that Brownells Oxynate 84 blacking bath would do it. You could call or email their tech line and ask them.

Randy

Reply to
R. O'Brian

True, but it's not limited to black. Aluminum that has been properly anodized can be dyed pretty much any color one desires.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Reply to
David Billington

Steel can have a black chrome plating so I would expect that chromed steel could have additional chrome plated on which would be black. Google on Black chrome.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster