History of paint spray gun

I have seen lots of pictures of people painting cars in factories in the pre-WW1 time period, using paint brushes. I then realized I have no idea when spray painting was invented. Anyone know? They certainly had air compressors by then.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

The original description was air brush rather than spray gun and they were in existence well before 1900. There's plenty on the net about the subject. Devilbiss existed pre WWI.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Joseph Binks spraygun help speed the finishing of the World's Fair at Chicago, the Columbian Exposition, to spray Whitewash over everything in 1893.

Other than whitwash, early paints didn't spray well, so the spraygun was used mostly in furniture factories spraying shellac.

Post WWI, Dupont had to find some use for all that surplus gunpowder that nobody was buying. Enter a new type of nitrocellose lacquer that could be brightly colored

** mike **
Reply to
mike

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I probably should have googled the term, though I find often I get more from this group than I do from Google.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

I seem to recall that picture, and IIRC, it was sort of a jobs program to keep the old guys on the line occupied. Definitely not an American line, I seem to recall it being a British thing, where jobs are more important that your employer staying solvent.

Reply to
carl mciver