Boat trailer repair questions

Hi, I bought a boat trailer and just noticed the frame is a little bent at the front. The original owner mentioned that he had two boats on it at once but I didn't think to inspect the frame. Here is a picture of where it's bent. BTW it's bend on both sides equally so it doesn't seem to affect the steering or anything.

One other question I had is, the trailer has some rust and I'm not sure how bad it is. Also, should I change the u-bolts on the axle just to be safe?

Thanks, Michael

Reply to
Michael Shaffer

Oh yea, my question is should I try to straighten the frame before taking it to inspections?

Thanks

Michael Shaffer wrote:

Reply to
Michael Shaffer

Reply to
Michael Shaffer

Reply to
RoyJ

Reply to
Michael Shaffer

I had a very bad experience repairing a rusty boat trailer. I was triple lucky in that the trailer did not actually fall apart underway.

My own lesson learned: angle iron bolted to almost fully rusted frame is not worth shit.

NEVER AGAIN.

Ignoramus26831

If I could jump on the front and bend it back (and I'm good size), I think I would consider using only for hauling mattresses or pillows.

mikey

Reply to
Mike Fields

Personally, I would junk the thing and but a new galvanized trailer. It will last you 20 years if you take care of it.

Reply to
Don White

That should be 'buy'....

Reply to
Don White

I doubt if the U bolts need to be changed. They are pretty thick metal. So if you lost .050 off them , they would not have lost a large percentage of their strength. The Frame is a different story. It is likely less than 1/8 inch thick when new. So losing .050 off the frame may have cut the strength in half.

I would take a hammer and rap all over the frame to see if any parts are nearly rusted thru. I helped repair a boat trailer that had serious rust from being in salt water. I replaced the pieces that were seriously rusted.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster