Boat trailer repair questions

Hi, I bought a boat trailer and just noticed the frame is a little bent
at the front. The original owner mentioned that he had two boats on it
at once but I didn't think to inspect the frame. Here is a picture of
where it's bent. BTW it's bend on both sides equally so it doesn't seem
to affect the steering or anything.

One other question I had is, the trailer has some rust and I'm not sure
how bad it is. Also, should I change the u-bolts on the axle just to be
safe?

Thanks,
Michael
Reply to
Michael Shaffer
Oh yea, my question is should I try to straighten the frame before taking it to inspections?
Thanks
Michael Shaffer wrote:
Reply to
Michael Shaffer
Nevermind, I just jumped on the front of it and it bent right back into place :)
Michael Shaffer wrote:
Reply to
Michael Shaffer
If it bent back into place when you jumped on it, what is it going to do when you do accident avoidance with a full load on it?
Michael Shaffer wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ
I'm going to weld some more angle iron to it. I just wanted it straight before I welded it.
RoyJ wrote:
Reply to
Michael Shaffer
I had a very bad experience repairing a rusty boat trailer. I was triple lucky in that the trailer did not actually fall apart underway.
My own lesson learned: angle iron bolted to almost fully rusted frame is not worth shit.
NEVER AGAIN.
Ignoramus26831
If I could jump on the front and bend it back (and I'm good size), I think I would consider using only for hauling mattresses or pillows.
mikey
Reply to
Mike Fields
Personally, I would junk the thing and but a new galvanized trailer. It will last you 20 years if you take care of it.
Reply to
Don White
That should be 'buy'....
Reply to
Don White
I doubt if the U bolts need to be changed. They are pretty thick metal. So if you lost .050 off them , they would not have lost a large percentage of their strength. The Frame is a different story. It is likely less than 1/8 inch thick when new. So losing .050 off the frame may have cut the strength in half.
I would take a hammer and rap all over the frame to see if any parts are nearly rusted thru. I helped repair a boat trailer that had serious rust from being in salt water. I replaced the pieces that were seriously rusted.
Dan
Reply to
dcaster