Bogus MSC survey -- beware

Many of us purchase from MSC.

I just got an e-mail purporting to be from MSC, and asking me to take part in a survey.

Some things about it made me suspicious, so I checked the headers, and discovered that it had come via the Netherlands (.nl),

*and* that the URL was sending me to a site there as well.

More examination of the URL showed that one of the components of it was .dll (Windows "Dynamic Link Library") -- in other words, something which could become a part of the OS -- likely either opening a backdoor to allow external logins, or to download and install a virus - or both.

It was offering $25.00 for taking the time to fill out the survey, sent either to the charity of my choice, or to me personally.

I called the normal ordering number, and told the order taker about this. She did not know anything other than that MSC did sometimes send out surveys, and agreed with me that this did sound suspicious, so she talked to her supervisor, and came back with the request that, if possible, I should send a copy to an address which she gave me.

It is now in their hands (including fully intact headers), but probably won't be opened until tomorrow's workforce arrives. I doubt that they will be able to trace down and shut down the originators of this.

However, I suspect that they may start issuing warnings when you call to place an order -- or adding them to their web-based order forms.

Anyway -- *beware*.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Golly, DoN, I think I saw that one, or one like it, two years ago.

Reply to
Richard