book mentioning machining

I can vaguely remember reading a book in which one of the characters had a boat with a machine shop on board. And he would travel around Australia d
oing repairs for farmers. But that is about all I remember. And hope some one can remember the title or the authors name. I want to recommend it to a machinist friend.
I thought it might be " Trustee from the Toolroom " by Nevil Shute but che cked it out from the library and reread it. It is a good read, but not the story I am looking for.
But by all means post the title of all the books you enjoy that mention mac hining.
Dan
wrote in message

My favorite murder mystery author is Dick Francis, and his novel High Stakes features a machinist as the protagonist. He was a champion steeplechase jockey and always sets his stories around horse racing, where either the victim or the accused has something to do with racing. Good reads, hard to put down, worth re-reading every 5-6 years. YMMV, IMHO, etc :-).
--
Regards,
Carl Ijames
On 9/7/2019 5:07 AM, snipped-for-privacy@krl.org wrote:

The Professor in the Machine Shop - Not your book though.
I can vaguely remember reading a book in which one of the characters had a boat with a machine shop on board. And he would travel around Australia doing repairs for farmers. But that is about all I remember. And hope someone can remember the title or the authors name. I want to recommend it to a machinist friend.
I thought it might be " Trustee from the Toolroom " by Nevil Shute but checked it out from the library and reread it. It is a good read, but not the story I am looking for.
But by all means post the title of all the books you enjoy that mention machining.
Dan
========================http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/floating-machine-shops-167904.html
On Sat, 7 Sep 2019 20:11:32 -0400

Jim, thanks for that link. I was just going to skim it but ended up reading the whole page :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

I watch for what others consider essential (or not) in space-limited shops.
On 08/09/2019 17:50, Jim Wilkins wrote:

boat which is quite compact https://www.briangreaves.com/about-brian but it works well and he has all he needs. Now that his kids have left school he's not constrained to the local area so he and his wife travel the waterways of the UK. There are some other floating workshops in the area as well, usually as with Brian a boat to live on and another boat used as a workshop.