Brass 360 temp chart

I am interested in finding out where there is a color graph for 360 brass temperatures. Thanks John

Reply to
John Wizman

???

I'm having a hard time understanding your purpose. It might help to explain your objective. Unlike heat treating carbon steels, I'm not sure you'd gain much from visual observations.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Unless he is looking at say annealing cartridge cases, in which if I remember correctly there is a color reference (blue tint) at which point they are tipped over in a pan of water......been a few years since I needed to anneal cart cases, so I may be wrong.

???

I'm having a hard time understanding your purpose. It might help to explain your objective. Unlike heat treating carbon steels, I'm not sure you'd gain much from visual observations.

Harold

Reply to
~Roy

Nope, you've got that just right.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I think that's a valid point. I've annealed cartridge necks as well, although I've never been too concerned about the temperature. Stopping the annealing process at the right point on the case was more important to me. I found that a little more heat did nothing to further soften the necks, they were either annealed, or not. Like in your case, it's been a "few" years since I last did it as well. Like maybe 30! :-)

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Reply to
John Wizman

I'm not convinced you'd be able to do that by the color of the brass, but I could be wrong.

There are crayons used for such a purpose. Might be a cheap way to measure the temperature you need to verify. I'm not familiar with their use, but maybe someone here is.

My mind had gone to melting, where the use of a pyrometer is highly recommended.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Inductive heater and a temp probe to set your reference.

Lead melts at about 550, so simply upending it and sticking it in a pot of molten lead may be below liquidus at 500F

Gunner Asch

Ive annealed a shit load of brass over the years..and the color change isnt accurate enough..its too wide in range for even pure cartridge brass.

Gunner

Gunner Asch