Brass ACME nut repair

!!! That's not good - it would be much better to have to replace the nut than the lead screw. Or do you suppose that the nut had already been replaced, perhaps more than once?

If not, do you suppose that the nut being softer had picked up steel dust & had acted as a lap on the screw?

Is this normal?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I was thinking more in terms of the error per unit of screw length, such as an error of 0.003"/inch of screw. That number is pulled out of thin air so is probably not typical and may not even be close to typical. And again, the issue is probably not a show stopper, just sonething you should be aware of.

Reply to
Mike Henry

I think that I will simply buy a dial indicator with a long stem. Kind of a poor man's digital readout.

Reply to
Ignoramus30183

If he's making nut and screw, he COULD use a RH thread - the cross-slide would just work backwards and take a bit of getting used to (and the scale would read backwards)

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

I don't depend on the dials on my lathe for accuracy. Take a cut, measure the work, use the dial only to advance the bit. This works well with HSS bits that can shave off half a thousandth.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins