brass brazing/soldering

I'm looking for a mid temperature (700-800 deg F) brass (muntz & 360) solder or braze alloy with 15 kpsi or better tensile strength. All I can find on the web are solders (450 - 550 deg), 3 to 5 kpsi or brazing (1100 - 1300 deg) 30 to 50 kpsi.

Strange (but maybe fundemental physics) I can't find a mid temp, mid strength brazing material. If you know why, let us know. (I did find a semiconductor gold based alloy at a zillion $ and lousy physical properties (brittle)).

My thin to thick brass brazing was a mess even with a jewelers torch. Obviously, the temperature difference between melting the brass and flowing the brazing material is slight. The silver soldering was fine but the strength is suspect.

Grant, Mt Hamilton, CA

Reply to
toolmeister

It's interesting that this question has come up before. There are a couple of products that melt right in that range, which is the borderline of the definitions between "soldering" and "brazing," but I can't recall what they are right now. You might check H&H/Canada's site:

It's much better and more useful than H&H's US site.

Silver "soldering" (which actually is brazing, since the common materials called silver "solder" melt at something over 800 deg. F) requires a close fit to get high strength, except for a couple of materials specifically made to fill gaps. A clean, close-fitting silver braze joint achieves shear strength of over 100,000 psi.

Check the Handy and Harman site above. They have an online brazing book there that may help you.

Also, the real experts in this business are the people who make custom bicycles. There is a lot of info on high-strength, relatively low-temperature brazing on the Web, if you dig through Google for it.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Reply to
Don Foreman

I think there are some alloys that are mid range, but I don't think there are any that are inexpensive. Wesco made one that might be mid range using germanium used for soldering/ brazing ceramic vacuum parts. Likely not made any more. It was not what I would call cheap, but it was cheaper than the other alloy that would work that used gold.

Depnding on how you are using the word silver soldering........ The silver tin solder with about 5% silver is not super strong, but the silver alloy containing about 50% silver is strong.

If you are joining brass to brass, try Sil phos. You can get it at your local welding supply with either 5 % or 15% silver. The more expenisive 15% silver is easier to use. Some kind of lap joint is highly desired. But you don't need flux.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

I have silver soldered hydraulic fitting together for short production runs, with no problem. It looks real good to after it's plated.

Richard W.

Reply to
Richard Weich

I have silver soldered brass 1/4" thick washers to 1/4" brass rods with Harris Safety-Silv 45. The washers would bend before the joint came loose.

Mike H

Reply to
Mike H

Can you say more about what you're doing and what went wrong? I don't think you should have any problem silverbrazing thin brass with a strong alloy like Harman Handy EZ Flow 45. It works in the 1150 to

1200 deg range you menti>I'm looking for a mid temperature (700-800 deg F) brass (muntz & 360)
Reply to
Don Foreman