Bridgeport dimensions

I just saw this listing on eBay

It contains these dimensions in the description:

Knee Travel.......................14.5"

Throat Distance...............14.5"

Table to Spindle...............7"

I don't understand this. Is there a reason that "table to spindle" would be less than the other two numbers? Maybe I just don't understand what these describe.

Reply to
xray

Well, normally:

1) Knee travel: The total vertical rise and fall of the knee assembly.

2) Throat distance: The maximum possible distance between the center of the spindle and the nearest obstruction measured perpendicular to the axis of the spindle. On a vertical drill press, the "obstruction" would typically be the cylindrical column on which both the drill head and the table are mounted. On a machine like the Bridgeport Series I, it would be the main machine casting.

3) Table to spindle: With the knee cranked all the way up and the spindle fully retracted, the distance between spindle nose and table surface.

Carmine Castiglia InfosystemsPro LLC PalmOS apps for engineers and machinists.

Carmine Castiglia

Which on a standard Series I is only about 1 inch. So this CNC head doesn't get near as close.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I guess it makes sense now. I left out that they also spec'ed Quill (Z Axis)......................5" so 7 - 5 = 2; I guess that is the minimum distance from the table to the spindle. Presumably that is less than zero if you add in a tool and holder.

Thanks for the answers.

Reply to
xray

?x?mMOÃ0 ?ïýïi?EB???á?5nk-?·8a-¿?´BC?ð??¿¿ò?säDúTU[?º´Á+ºLªào¤P Jr®KÏQ? 9!õfr4Â8?+²ØÞóî?zÏì®?ñ2°ÞÔÿÚzu?6?½Â{ÄÖxÆ?ù"O?à9°Ï?5?ÐÚ(~î$³wÅ?,¡GÖQ·H?}/H÷Ëø¦(à£dkÁ¦ÐÄÁ»àõâ,Åz®Udú[ìË_zó???(ØYÔi~D#?t&«xBä?-§±®~ªL(

Reply to
Richard J Kinch