Bridgeport help with pics and q's

Hi, I'm new to the group. I am venturing over from the rec.ww and owwm. I recently got a Bridgeport knee mill at auction. It has a round ram and short
table and I have no clue what type of head it has on it.
I am very comfortable restoring woodworking machinery and I own a 9" southbend. However, I am unfamiliar with Bridgeport's. Would you mine helping me out with the following pics and q's?
To unload it I took apart the motor from the head, the head from the ram, and the ram from the turret.
Here is a pic of the head without motor:
http://home.hawaii.rr.com/shigeoka/manip_DCP_0661.JPG
Here is another pic of the head highlighting a small nub of broken casting. What was this piece?:
http://home.hawaii.rr.com/shigeoka/manip_DCP_0662.JPG
I know it's probably unanswerable just from a pic, but what type of collet or taper would this head have?:
http://home.hawaii.rr.com/shigeoka/manip_DCP_0665.JPG
Here is a pic of the motor assembly. The motor is positioned directly above the spindle assembly. Of the pics I have seen on the web, I have never seen a Bridgeport with this type of configuration:
http://home.hawaii.rr.com/shigeoka/manip_DCP_0663.JPG
Here is a close up shot of the motor nameplate:
http://home.hawaii.rr.com/shigeoka/manip_DCP_0664.JPG
Finally, here is a pic of the ram. The rear of the ram seemed to be able to accomodate mounting something else. What went or goes on here?
http://home.hawaii.rr.com/shigeoka/manip_DCP_0668.JPG
I do not see "Bridgeport" anywhere on the head. Is this a Bridgeport head at all? If yes, what model. If no, what type of head is it?
Thanks for taking the time to look at this.
Aloha, Russell
Russell Shigeoka wrote:

If it has 6 grooves in the pulleys, it is the M head.
Some of it looks sort of like the M, but yours seems like it has just 4 grooves, and then a 2nd level of belts, which looks like it will give a VERY slow range of speeds. Or, is the 2nd level of belts for the power feed, on that pulley in front? It isn't a "C" head, or an M head. Does the Jacobs chuck come off, or is it permanent? Is the spindle hollow with a drawbar, or solid?
I hate to tell you this is probably not a milling head, but one made for drilling, I think.
Jon
Howdy, Aloha Russell. What you have there is (most of) a step pulley head from a Tree milling machine. I can only guess how it found its way onto your Bridgeport. Somebody probably jettisoned a little Bridgeport M-head off the round ram in favor of the heavier Tree.
I believe that head would take the seldom seen Z collets. The good news is the head has a nifty quick change system. The bad news is the collets are sort of oddball and somewhat spendy from the manufacturer. I was doing some research on just this dilemma the other night and found another source mentioned for the collets for a much more reasonable price. Try:
    http://www.toolingsystems.com/univ /
I don't see them listed on the webpages, but you could try calling.
Lastly, the other end of the ram is for holding another head. Could be a shaper head, an M-head, or another of the many styles Bridgeport produced.
Dick
Russell Shigeoka wrote:

Does not look like a Bridgeport Head. Tree perhaps? Tree had odd ball collets. If you didn't get any collets, I would watch for a used Step pulley J Head for your machine. I know you live in Hawaii, the Government Liquidations seem to crop up a lot there. Might be pricey buying a used head from the main land.
The tang on the back is for other heads/attachments. Like a shaping attachment, cherrying attachment.
Marty [posted and mailed]
snipped-for-privacy@hawaii.rr.com (Russell Shigeoka) wrote in

snipped-for-privacy@hawaii.rr.com (Russell Shigeoka) wrote in

Looks like where the depth stop was located. This is typically a threaded rod with round nut and locknut.
--
Anthony