Broken CNC rotary table?

I have a Troyke U12PNC CNC rotary table. It has no control attached. It represents a vertical/horizontal mount table, and instead of a handle like on manual tables, it has what looks like a DC servo.

It has the following wires:

1) Large BLACK and RED 2) One three conductor cable with Blue, Red and Black wire. I am guessing it is a tachometer 3) One multiconductor cable with a few small conductors, if I could guess it is the encoder.

I loosened its locknut.

I tried connecting the thick BLACK and RED wires to a DC power supply.

The table does not move. The current goes to 5A (the limit of this power supply) and the voltage would not go above 11 volts, IIRC.

There are four holes for brushes. Very oddly, they are covered or sealed with some kind of goo, like silicon glue.

Would anyone have any guess as to what is wrong.

My own explanation is that the table is either seized, or the motor is somehow shorted.

Ignoramus2966

Ignoramus2966 fired this volley in news:n7SdneO67JYx9NPRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Or still locked... My rotary table has two locking levers (I guess to even out forces so it doesn't kick out of position when locking/unlocking)

It sounds like the motor is readily dismounted. Why not do that, and bench test the motor?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

There may well be a brake in there and without powering it to disengage it the motor won't be able to turn. Pretty common to have a brake to lock the table in position so that heavy cutting forces are not applied to the worm gear.

Reply to
Pete C.

Taking a quick look online, I'm reminded that the brake mechanism pay be pneumatic, with a solenoid valve in the unit and an air connection. There would also be a home switch for zero position on the table (vs. the motor encoder).

Reply to
Pete C.

You could give Troyke a call or email, contact info is on their web site, but unfortunately docs for older models are not.

Reply to
Pete C.

This brake idea is a good one. This is exactly why I asked. I would never have thought of that.

Ignoramus8984