Buffing wheel

Hey all: I have a question for the group: I have a bench grinder that I'm trying to use with a buffing wheel. I picked up a shaft and pillow-blocks for free, then went to the store and got a 2" and 4" pulley for a 3450rpm-1725rpm step-down. I also picked up the *A* style medium duty belt the salesman suggested. I set it all up it won't work at all. The grinder can't get close to it's regular rpm. The grinder was made buy Albertson & Co Souix City IA. It weighs maybe

60 pounds, it's old, and says 1/4 hp. The pillow-blocks are shimmed up so the shaft swings freely. So my question is: Am I expecting to much of the grinder? Should I use a lighter more flexible belt? Am I doing something obviously stupid? Any advice would be welcome. Dean
Reply to
dean b

Try putting the 2 inch pulley on the motor...

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Even if you get it up to speed, you are going to do much buffing with a maybe 1/4hp driving a jack shaft with all the inherent friction and windage losses. I don't know what size buffing wheels you are using, but for 6"or

8" wheels you need at least 3/4hp. More is better.

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

With a 1.5 HP, 3600 RPM motor and a 6 or 8 inch wheel you can make stuff really shinny :)

With a 1/4 HP motor you can get really pissed off trying to polish something :)

Les

Reply to
PIW