Building a motorized bike?

It all depends on what state you live in, or country for that mater. Not all states have a 49cc or 750 watt rule.

Daryl Hunt wrote:

Most jurisdictions alreay have laws on the books to regulate powered bicycles. Generally they either restrict the horspower, displacement, or speed potential before they are required to be registered and licenced as motor vehicles.

This gets covered from time to time on variuos sites relating to Human powered vehicles, and power assisted bicycles. Power assisted bicycles have been around foer a very long time, and pretty much represent the origins of motorcycles as they are.

The short of it is that if you install too big an engine, or one that can make your bike exceed a set speed, then ride it on public property, yer in the excrement with the authorities. What you do on your own property has not yet been completely regulated to death.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

And >

***
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

There have been some SERIOUS accidents involving motorcycles, where a LOT of damage has been done to third parties.Liability insurance on anything more than a moped SHOULD be mandatory. In Ontario, it is also mandatory on Mopeds now (and a limited speed Motorcycle Licence is also required)(M with L condition)

***
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

People have died in lawnmower accidents, and under fallen bookshelves. It doesn't mean that those things should have mandatory liability insurance. A motorcycle is at least one order of magnitude less likely than a car to inflict serious injury or property damage outside of the bike and its rider(s), and I believe that Washington State law acknowledges that.

When I was required by law to have coverage on my motorcycle, I did. Now I don't. You are free to do business with gangsters when you don't have to, if it tickles your fancy.

Ontario hasn't even legalized low-power electric-assist bicycles yet, so I don't think their policies are an example of good judgment in this instance.

Chalo Colina

Reply to
Chalo

Didn't say I agreed with Ontario - as they require liability insurance on Mopeds - I said it should be mandatory on anything bigger/faster/heavier than mopeds. They do damage on public property. Lawn mowers do damage on private property, and when they do third party damage, they are covered under homeowners liability. Motor bikes are NOT. Do serious damage with an uninsured motorcycle and see how far )r how fast) a million dollars goes. Particularly if you did something stupid to cause the damage (and MOST damage done by motorcycles results from actions that, at best, could be described as "stupid") and the courts decide to make an example of you.

***
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

I recently got a Tidalforce M750X. It's an electric bike with a 750 watt motor (1000 watts in 'turbo' mode; not strictly legal to use on the road) and it does a good job getting me to work. Top speed is about 30mph. It's very stealthy looking; motor and battery is in the hubs, so it looks like a bike with funny wheels. When the motor is off, the hub freewheels and you can pedal it like any other bike out there.

For conversions, I have been hearing very good things about the Crystalyte X-5 series of hub motors, available from PoweRideStore. See link below. It comes as a front or rear hub; you have to retrofit the bike yourself. You will also likely want a better battery than the one they sell. Batteryspace makes some good li-ion and ni-mh batteries that can be used for that purpose.

billvon

1000 watt is a bit high for most states. Here is one that should be legal for those states that allow Electric Bikes.

***
Reply to
Daryl Hunt

a) the coroner needs to be involved, and this is a good and proper piece of regulation and b) it's very bad for the ground water.

Jasper

Reply to
Jasper Janssen

s/moped/bicycle/. As is the case here.

Jasper

Reply to
Jasper Janssen

The biggest problem is that all you can take off a man is all he has, which isn't nearly enough, generally. A few hundred k at most generally exhausts people's assets, and that's not even enough to pay for relatively minor incidents (minor being the ones where the guy you hit dies. If he lives you're *really* up shit creek without a paddle).

Jasper

Reply to
Jasper Janssen

And the reason that medical care is so stinking expensive compared to any other comparably skilled service is because most people rely on insurance to pay for it. IOW, insurance creates a problem that it takes insurance to address.

Gangsters. Like I said before.

Chalo

Reply to
Chalo

stryped

The only way to get the laws changed is to threaten the jobs of the Politicians. Around here, elections are coming later on but they are the off time ones. In 2 years, the heavyweight one hits where many of the jobs will be up for grabs. That is the time to get out the word and get out the vote.

See

***
Reply to
Daryl Hunt

Ideally, (170 lb rider, level ground) the range of a 24V, 20VAH batteries with 26in wheels would be about 15 miles. You can increase you distance by decreasing the weight of the rider, increasing the Motor Voltage and Battery capacity or help it by pedaling.

Going uphill, most legal electric bicycles don't have the power to go up a steep grade. Plus, even a moderate one draws quite a bit of power. You assist it by pedaling. The more you pedal the less electrical power drain you have; the more range you have.

How may miles? Too many variables to figure. But hills equal less distance even with the coasting and freewheeling downhill that draws zero power.

***
Reply to
Daryl Hunt