Brons engined 'bike?

>David Edgington passed on your e-mail on the off chance you may know

something about the Brons engine used in >>the first diesel bike built by Jan Dopper, 1904 (see pic attached )

> I'd like to have a go at recreating this bike if I could get an engine

but therein lies the rub. This one was placed in a >>windmill and shot out of it by a German 109 in WW2 never to be seen again by all accounts. >>But are there any more out there? I just don't know and the guys in Holland aren't sure. Could I adapt something >>maybe?

>Any help appreciated. >>Stuart Scarry >I'm afraid DWE rather over estimates my knowledge of such things Stuart -

the only Brons engines I have come >across are much larger stationary and marine units. However, may I post your email to the uk.rec.engines.stationary >news group in the hope that someone there might know more?"

So here it is with permission. Pic is at

Could this be a Brons engine and do I hear a gnashing of teeth from the Oxford area at the thought of having to rely on such a device for transport?

Reply to
Nick H

Some time ago, Jan Vegter produced a definitive history of the Brons engine, with contributions from myself, PTFE and others. The book was sent out on a complimentary basis to all the contributors, which was a nice touch, but I can't recall seeing anything about this motorcycle or engine, but I could have missed it in the early pages.

The actual page/picture quoted does not give the full text, and if you got to the page proper:

you will see the acknowledgement given to Jan Vegter and Ad Langelaar for information supplied. Brons is said to have given cycle parts to Dopper, not the engine, so I have my personal doubts, but FWIW the rest of the page is worth a read.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

I had a look tonight, and the bike is in fact on page 19, with the following heading:

"World's first built motorcycle, which was running on diesel. This one cylinder aircooled 2hp motorcycle was built with help from Jan Brons by his master builder Mr Jan Dopper in 1904"

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web

Peter A Forbes

I confess to being much more interested in the engine poking over the backdrop. regards Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

That looks like one of the two engines built for vehicle use and not sold. 10bhp at 700rpm. Picture on p20 of the book.

I think Ad Langelaar's website has a lot of the details if the book isn't in front of you:

Click on the English flag and then select from the dialog box underneath the main page header. I had to work it out for a while before I could get into the site.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Nope I didn't get a copy and his website is invisible to me. Looks a bit tall for vehicle use unless its a turntable ladder :-) ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven