Building A Work Bench

There is a local company (central Illinois) that sells all sorts of butcher block and maple laminate products;

There are seconds and short pieces available. Last time I checked, they were $1.00/ft for 32" to 48" wide pieces that run 4 to 8 feet long. These make wonderful work bench surfaces.

Bob

Reply to
rleonard

On 20 Feb 2007 06:10:45 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@consolidated.net quickly quoth:

That buck a foot price sure beats their table prices. Whew!

For intermediate prices, also see:

-- If it weren't for jumping to conclusions, some of us wouldn't get any exercise.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

the best wood to use for this

Mr. El Cheapo Scrounger here, some time ago, I aquired a solid core, masonite faced door, which had been replaced by a steel faced unit. Damn near burned out my saw ripping it length wise into two bench tops, but with a bit of junk 2x4 framing and some recycled plywood, I came up with a pair of junk collecting surfaces that have stood me in good stead for the last 20+ years. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

the best wood to use for this

My parents dining room table, for over 40 yrs has been a large solid core door, with table legs bolted to it. Dad bought it in a "scratch & dent sale at the local lumber yard. Had a scratch in one face..now known as the Bottom Side.

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner