Bulk Fastener/shop organization update

30 years of boxes , cans and pails of assorted fasteners is just the tip of the iceberg. Since this is the "new building" we moved into in 1942, the accumulation of stuff is phenomenal! I have parts for machines we scrapped and replaced with new machines that were scrapped and replaced with new machines...no, I didn't stutter. Well, this stuff takes up space that I have to pay to heat and light! We need a new philosophy. I have machines to build and projects in line to last two years. and sooo much time is getting wasted fighting the clutter and disorganization.

Here's a pix of about 1/4 of the shop taken in '04. It's better now by degrees but you get the idea. And, we actually DO get work done.

We decided to pour the fasteners out on a 4' x 8' table with 1" lips all around and save just the SHCSs and scrap the rest.

Anthony suggested: "Google 5s", VERY interesting! Just what I need! I see the day of dropping a 6-32 nut and actually finding it.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

We employ the 5S system here, Save, Stow, Shovel, Stumble and aw Shit where did i put that dam thing?????? I actually had a customer that implemented 5S successfully. Cleanest dam heavy assemble plant I ever saw. I think they even recycled the dust from the floor. Didn't help the bottom line, but didn't hurt it either. Did lower work comp costs.

Reply to
Greg Postma

We use the OSWO planning system here. That's Oh Shit, We're Out

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I'm supprised OSHA even lets you walk in the place! ...

--.- Dave

Reply to
Dave August

About every year or two (depending on the accumulation) we 'd have an employee auction. We never made any real money but storage was improved and everyone was happy with their bargains. We would do this with everything from nuts and bolts to office furniture. The company would pop for drinks (funded by sales) and a good time was had by all. Try it, you'll like it.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

My signage has the wrong address on it! The building has big fire doors separating the packing/shipping/recieving area from production. We close the doors and pile skids up against them any time ANY inspector comes by. "Your building looks so much bigger from the outside!" "Yea, a lot of people say that."

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I believe I can see a child in there, just behind one one machine, chained to another machine, fed every so often. Just like in Dickens' time.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

That's how it's been since 1879 when my Great Grandfather started the business. That's how family businesses are done. I was chained to the Reed Prentice lathe on the left front.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Harumph. At least it was family.

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Reply to
kfvorwerk

I didnt know you were Jewish?

Oy!

Gunner

"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub.

-- Grover Norquist

Reply to
Gunner

Ah yes, the chain of guilt!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The Jews made guilt an art, Catholics made it an institution!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

That looks like my garage with fewer tools. You can't move around in that sort of mess and looking at it to clean it up makes you depressed. No where to sort, no where to put, no where to move. I call it 'gridlock'.

Next weekend the utility trailer is being backed up to the doors and a trip to the dump will result. Some treasure is going to be demoted to trash for this to work.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Yup.

Make sure to call scrap men first.

Ignoramus6663

At my last house the shop was attached to the house, and you could hardly move and I couldn't get a plan in place to fix it.

Wife had to go out of town for 3 days and the idea hit me. I moved everything from the shop into the house. Cleaned, shoved the bench, tool boxes and shelves into their new order and moved everything back over the next couple days.

Perfect by the time she got back.

Reply to
marc.britten

I have visited a friend's shop who does earn his money with a DMG CNC-mill. Your shop looks super-tidy compared to his. I'd call his shop a "single-trail". Mess up to your hips and just small passes through it. Didn't take him 30 years, just 8. Goodgawd!

Nick, messy

Reply to
Nick Mueller

True enough.

Bless me Father, for I have sinned..my last confession was......

Gunner

"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub.

-- Grover Norquist

Reply to
Gunner

A one-man shop can function well in apparent disorganization. Add one other person and productivity plummets.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 19:47:30 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom Gardner" quickly quoth:

Catholics added punishment to the guilt requirement, too. Ever seen their large churches, complete with bloody crucifixes, etc?

-- I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter.

Reply to
Larry Jaques