Can I install a ceiling?

My detached garage with metal siding has 2x4 trusses spaced 4 feet on
center. Can I install a ceiling or will this be too much weight and
cause sagging/or other problems?
Reply to
stryped
If the trusses are spaced 4' on center, you have much greater worries than any ceiling you might put up there. That's *much* too far apart to adequately support the *roof*.
Did you mean 2' on center?
Reply to
Doug Miller
Its all in the truss design. My barn has trusses on 10' centers and a 50 #/sq.ft. snow load design. Way plenty to hold a ceiling too,
But knowing this guy, his building will fail with the first heavy wet snow. maybe he lives where snow don't fall.
Karl
Reply to
Karl Townsend
So your barn roof is supported by purlins as well?
Pete Keillor
Reply to
Pete Keillor
4' centers are acceptable (at least in Michigan) for a metal roof. Not so with a wood roof and shingles, they must be 24".
Reply to
Yooper
They are 4 foot on center. Metal roof. Walls are 2x4 stick built 2 foot on center studs attached directly to a concrete pad. (I think the pad is thicker around the perimeter.)
My concern was with 4 foot on center whatever I use for the ceiling (osb, drywall, foam board, whatever) might sag? Is this true?
Reply to
stryped
yep, 21" centers IIRC
Reply to
Karl Townsend
This is where you investigate a suspended ceiling with insulation bats on the top.
Paul
Reply to
KD7HB
29 gauge liner sheets or galvanized "barn tin" would span the 4' spacing just fine, and hold insulation if desired. I would be confident the trusses could take the load.
Reply to
DanG
While that would work for support, It would constantly drip water except during the summer months. Even the metal roof will have to have good venting, but will still sweat.
Paul
Reply to
KD7HB
Stryped sez: "My concern was with 4 foot on center whatever I use for the ceiling (osb, drywall, foam board, whatever) might sag? Is this true?"
I can visualize drywall sagging some. Why not put some 2 x 4 headers in between the trusses?
Bob Swinney
They are 4 foot on center. Metal roof. Walls are 2x4 stick built 2 foot on center studs attached directly to a concrete pad. (I think the pad is thicker around the perimeter.)
Reply to
Robert Swinney
KD7HB fired this volley in news:c6b0cda8-bc0d-41e7- snipped-for-privacy@q40g2000prh.googlegroups.com:
yeah... I have an open pole barn with 4'o.c. trusses and purlins, and 5Vee tin. It RAINS indoors every morning any time the humidity is over 70% (which it almost always is in FLA).
LLoyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh