can't pass up usefull trash

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 02:31:44 GMT, Lewis Hartswick vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

I haven't, but yer...so what? What made you feel you needed to make any one of us guys believe him?

God I feel better!

Reply to
Old Nick

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 21:18:59 -0500, Wayne Cook vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Married?

Reply to
Old Nick

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 21:20:41 -0500, Wayne Cook vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

I have been on the other side of that. As I was entering a small town, the exhaust system fell of my Toyota truck right at the header/manifold.

I went to three petrol stations looking for a suitable nut or two and was sent to Old Fred. Old Fred had junk coming out of his ears!

He walked into this shed that was chokkas, and came out about 1 minute later with two nuts to suit. I reckon he teleported them from Aldebaran or something.

He would not take any money. He seemed to fail to realise that the fact that they were "only a couple of nuts" was eclipsed by the fact that he was the _only person in a sizeable country town_ who could service that toyota.

[...]

I call it "Fred". (Ooh! OOh! that's an old drillpress! OOh! an old bandsaw. Oh, Wow! Lots of good stuff in here!)

Nope, don't know what it's like at all.

Seriously, I have far too many machines already, ten lathes, two surface grinders, three mills. six drillpresses, and the list goes on. It's what happens when an old machine develops puppy dog eyes. Can't seem to leave short pieces of barstock or any plate with usable size to it, it has to find a home, and my basement looks like home.

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

I have a five gallon bucket full of nuts, bolts, screws, widgets that I need to sort one of these days, and put them into the umpteen thousand little clear plastic drawers I have for them. Many is the time those things have saved me a trip to the hardware store, and a couple of bucks. Where I work, I can always pick up hardware that is left for the garbage crew. And I do.

We did an indoor self-storage business convention. They made several mockups of storage units, then walked away from them rather than disassemble and ship back. I got two full bags of 1,000 5/16" head, self tappers with neoprene sealers used to fasten sheet roofing, and 1,000 "stitcher" self tappers designed to join two pieces of sheeting together. I used to have to buy these when I had a welding business that serviced carports. That was

1994, and back then, they were seven cents apiece. $140 laying on the floor........... Plus lots and lots of lags, bolts, nuts, corner brackets, gate handles, hasps ............. I get a lot of great stuff from the conventions.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

on a slightly serious note - giving stuff to someone younger who is SERIOUSLY interested will remove it from your garage and get someone else a boost at the same time, AND it will keep it out of the landfill

Reply to
william_b_noble

The "reefer box" part

Tim

Tim Williams

If they dont, we pull their membership cards.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Yeah... Hey Lenny, you seem to have enough lathes . . . . . ;^)

Tim

Tim Williams

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 01:52:20 -0500, "Tim Williams" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Alllways wondered about that name...

And there, just after the definition I checked out on the web was :

"HAINES BOROUGH ASSEMBLY REGULAR MEETING MINUTES JANUARY 21, 2003... Assembly Member HARRELL said she inspected the property and there is a huge amount of junk on it, including a smashed trailer and an old reefer box. ...

- 29k - Cached - Similar pages "

hmmmmm....

Reply to
Old Nick

This reminds me of the sig line I saw on a pro audio newsgroup; It aplies to recording studios but the idea is the same:

"Some people have a studio in their bedroom. I have a bed in my studio. As my tech said when he first came round "Well, I can see right away you're not married"

Hans

Reply to
Hans van Dongen

I'll bet we've got zero chance of getting an answer.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

wayne, you're too much!! (that's meant as a COMPLIMENT!) dont you ever stand there scratching your head going "damn it... i know i saw that damn thing somewhere... but where?" i'm an ameteur "pile collector" compared to you and i can never remember where the hell i put shit i need at the time!

walt

Reply to
wallster

there was a part in there that read: "She never heard of junk being "grandfathered". Wait until she needs a back window knob from a 1947 DeSoto!! That bitch wont be calling it junk then!!! actually, most people who own actual "junk yards" or auto recycling centers are millionaires.

walt

Reply to
wallster

Reply to
wallster

On heavy trash day, I set stuff out we don't want or need, expecting it to get picked up. The last time, I set out about 10-15 huge plant pots and a big bell (~8" dia.) left by the last homeowners, some worn out snow shovels with the edges gone, and one of those tv-vcr's my oldest son nearly wore out (he's 22, moderately mentally retarded, and likes to push buttons and watch videos, and about my favorite person on the planet). The vcr part was giving him trouble and most of the buttons didn't work. All of that stuff was gone within hours. I like seeing it get picked up by folks that will use it, instead of it going to the landfill, and I like the extra room in my garage.

I'd don't accumulate much "stock". One reason is I live in town, and don't have the room. A bigger reason is I expect to load up and move back to Texas in 5 or 10 years when we retire.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III

Many years ago, a friend of mine was in a "The world is going to hell in a handbasket and I have to get ready for Armageddon." state of mind, and he asked me about buying gold.

I said; " Gold is the worlds most useless metal. Like paper money, it only has the value we place on it. If you want to stockpile something, it should be something useful, like truck parts and car batteries."

He promptly started filling his yard with rubbish and spent most of his time fighting with "Code enforcement".

He never became a millionaire though.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

I agree 100%. I think the US should change over from the gold standard - to the cast iron standard!!

:)

Jim

jim rozen

Wait-a-minute! I never *got* one of those....!

Jim

jim rozen