$200 bandsaw assembly questions

I've almost assembled a Grizzly G1010 $200 bandsaw, but have two problems. I've read the $200 bandsaw FAQ.

  1. For the mechanical saw stop, it looks like there's a black, "z" shaped piece of metal which should make contact with a large hex head bolt (the height of this bolt is changed to adjust the stopping height of the blade). I can't figure out what to attach the "z" shaped piece to. Without the piece, the bolt will hit the wheel cover.

  1. There is a 5/16" bolt for tensioning the motor belt. The head of the bolt has a small hexagonal shaped handle for hand operation. The handle interferes with the gear box. Should I just replace the bolt with a shorter conventional bolt with a smaller head or is there a better way to fix this?

Thanks for any help.

Mitch Berkson

Reply to
Mitch Berkson

I'm not sure about the z shaped piece of metal, but I suspect it has nothing to do with the stop. I think it might be the rear strut that supports the horizontal table.

But it makes no difference, because, both the stop and the horizontal table are almost as good as useless.

Put a regular bolt in the motor mount and set it at the fastest speed and forget about it. I've only slowed mine down a couple times in the last 12 years, once for slabbing stainless, an once for cutting annealed m2 hss. In both cases, I found a better quality blade did more good than slowing the blade speed.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

I've identified the horizontal table support strut and this is a different piece. What stops the saw from descending after the cut is complete? Right now it looks like what stops it is the collision between the stop bolt and the plastic wheel cover.

Mitch Berkson

Reply to
Mitch Berkson

I don't have a HF saw, so this 4x6 may be different than yours. The stop bolt for travel limit/cut thru position when the saw is used in the horizontal position is shown in the top left image (just to the right of where the pivot bolt would be for the vise jaw). It's the vertical bolt with the jam nut on it, which the saw casting contacts as it completes cut-thru.

This saw had a L-shaped bracket that bolts onto the base (shown as red/yellow tab in the lower right image), that serves to hold the saw elevated to load material in the vise, or to hold the saw in the vertical position by engaging in notches along the lower edge of the saw casting near the up/down pivot.

There was another bracket that's not exactly Z-shaped, but has bends at each end (sheetmetal stamped part with slotted holes in each end), that's a support for the table that's mounted when the saw's used in the vertical position. It's not clearly visible, but the outward end of it (where it attaches to the table) can be seen in the same image, above the red/yellow tab.

I don't recall a bolt for belt tension/motor adjustment, but I just used a spring to keep some tension on the motor plate.

WB ................

Reply to
Wild Bill

On mine (sheetmetal wheel cover) the bolt head just passes through a cutaway section of the sheet metal and hits the casting. There isn't even a boss on the casting.

The saw will bang to a stop on any number of things before it starts sawing itself. The bolt is there mainly to keep the weight off the toggle switch.

The bolts adjustability is more trouble than it is worth. On the rare occasion I need the saw to stop before the bottom of the cut, I put a spacer on top of the bolt, rather than move it.

Paul K. DIckman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

I've uploaded the following to the dropbox to illustrate the problem:

Mitch Berkson

Reply to
Mitch Berkson

Interesting. Even at full extension, my bolt doesn't hit anything. The saw stops with either the blade on the table casting or the saw's weight on the toggle switch. I have a plastic wheel cover with no cutouts.

Mitch Berkson

Reply to
Mitch Berkson

On mine the bolt is about 1 3/4" above the deck, and strikes the the portion of the casting that curves over the top of the lower wheel. Seen, just peeking in in the upper center of ;

looked at the pics. I have no idea on the z bracket.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Looking at this one, the bolt is about where it is on mine, which came from another source, but looking further back, where the saw frame meets the main casting, there is a gap between them, and mine has no gap there. I can't tell for sure, but moving the frame over to eliminate this gap might also put it where the bolt hits the casting. I seem to remember fussing with this a little, but I also replaced the pivot shaft.

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

That black bracket goes under, the cutting table. It holds the motor cord.

There should be a machine screw hole, where it goes.

my 2 cents

Reply to
xman Charlie

OK. It looks like my bolt will hit in the same place if it were about 1/2" longer. I'll just get a longer bolt and it should work.

Mitch Berkson

Reply to
Mitch Berkson

Your extra piece is only for shipping the unit:

"The piece is the securing bracket that holds the upper arm in place on the casting while it is being shipped. It is not on the parts list.

If we may be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us. You are a valued customer and we look forward to serving your future woodworking and metal working needs.

Sincerely,

Mike Technical Service Grizzly Industrial, Inc. EN#638 "

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith