7 x 12 Bandsaw questions

Hi People,

I cut a lot of aluminum and currently use a miter saw with an aluminum cuttiong blade which works fine but I get showered in hot chips and have to wear earmuffs.

I wondered how fast a larger bandsaw would cut the material which is usually /12" thick and varying in width from 1-1/2" to 2-1/2".

Anyone have any actual experience to offer?

Soo, an Enco flyer (spare me the snobby-comments about enco/HF etc please!!) and in it are two 7 x12's. Both read about the same but one is 100 cheaper than the oither.

Anyone know what's the difference other than the 100-bucks??

Reply to
Jenny3kids

weight is a bit higher and the price has an '*' after it: "*Comes with UL Motor". I didn't realize the motor didn't have to be UL approved...

I don't think it cuts 'faster' at least between my chopsaw and 4x7 through steel. But you don't have the sparks, the noise, the temperature, nor a mess to clean off the piece. Plus it's at least 1/2 the curf which can add up. The bandsaw can be fussy with the blade tracking, which you don't have on a chopsaw.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

I should have clicked the next page:

bandsaw $170, $200 with UL motor.

Did you consider a 4x7?

Joel. phx

search on bandsaw group:rec.crafts.metalworking

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Ooops, I didn't see a table for the 90 and ASSumed it included the 90. Sorry. Ok, for one thing the 90's ad says 1 yr warranty. I notice the downfeed is repositioned, though I don't know if that's an advantage. There also appears to be a difference in the vise, but that isn't too clear from the photo. The 90 has a slightly higher top end blade speed.

4x6, sorry. The top blade speed is 260 FPM and 285 (75/90 respectively) and only 200 on their "5x6". I'm assuming you have a good blade (Morse or Starett) with an aggressive cut (6-8 TPI)? A relatively inexpensive pulley could get you the additional speed to see if it makes a difference.

Joel. phx

You might ask them or checkout the toothing on their machine. When I was cutting 5/8" pieces from 5/8" rod, I was able to stack 4 or 5 and cut them all at once. It did take a while, but it was SS and I didn't have to sit watching it (you DO have to pay attention as if it jams, the motor can overheat).

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Maybe you could have them cut your 1200 parts? that would save lots of your time

Andy

Reply to
Andrew V