Carnival Splendor cruise ship fire

According to Wikipedia, the fire occurred because "crankcase split". I have to wonder what happened exactly, how could the crankcase split, and if it did split, it must have been a massive oil leak.

Reply to
Ignoramus4438

I thought ship engines of this size had "open crankcases" with the oil lines plumbed. I've also been told that being very slow reving two-stroke engines they sometimes don't have main caps fitted to the conrods.

Oh - just read some more of the article, it says "a crankcase split" so it could have been on some small ancillary / genset engine.

Reply to
Dennis

90,000 HP - at 100 rpm (on crude oil - not diesel)

And they pollute something horrible...

How 16 ships create as much pollution as all the cars in the world

CaveLamb

No idea what sort of engines it has, the last one I was on had 8 diesels driving alternators...ran engines according to power demand, spread hours over a large number of units so the major maintenance timedown would be minimised etc etc.

I suspect "something broke" and a flying bit of "something" hit something vital with disastrous consequences.......oil line, hydraulic line, chief engineers Zippo lighter, who knows....

Andrew VK3BFA

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

Thanks - interesting reading. Polluting bastards too!

Reply to
Dennis

The key work was "fire". The entire engine, steering and other power features of the ship are all remote control from the bridge area. No one works in the engine area. The fire, there, destroyed all the communications capability to remotely control things. No manual operations were possible. Technology at it's worst!

Paul

Reply to
KD7HB

Well, technically bunker oil.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

========= This should give us all pause as the size and population densities of urban areas increase and we become increasingly dependant on all-or-nothing "technology," where everything works or nothing works, and the failure of some obscure subsystem can bring the whole house of cards down.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee) .............................. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Mother Nature is not overly picky - folks can simply stop breeding like rabbits, or something _will_ come along to play foxes - mechanical, something as contagious as H1N1 that kills like ebola, war, famine, flood - she's not picky as to how it happens, just that it will, sooner or later.

Sheesh George, there's a city down in Louisiana that's 6 feet under sea level without effective dikes, and they've been stacking cards on cards since 2005 to "bring it back." If you wanted to bring it back properly, the thing to do would have been to learn from Galveston and _start_ by raising the dang place above sea level, but no...just can't do what them old-timey folks with their advanced technology could do now-a-days.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

I would like to respectfully disagree.

Many cities, at various times, were bombed, lost electricity, water, other services, had earthquakes, and so on.

Guess what, most people survived, cities were restored, and life moved on.

With a few things that I have, such as a generator, very few guns, and very modest food store, I do not expect to have problems beyond minor inconveniences.

A huge ship on sea that is jam packed with people, is subject to a completely different universe of risks.

For example, unlike a city, it could sink in 45 minutes.

Ignoramus1439

KD7HB wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking on Fri, 12 Nov 2010 09:12:46 -0800 (PST):

And no/ineffetave fire suppression system too. Damn. If your gonna put all of your eggs in one basket, guard that basket!

Leaving an engine room like that unattended is like leaving a open hearth fireplace unattended.

Reply to
dan

Do your neighbors also have generators and food?

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Some idiot commented "why don't we just get rid of those 16 ships?"

Reply to
ATP

No generators that I know, but I have guns. :L)

That said, I would not mind running a small extension cord to the neighbors home. My generator is 20 kW.

Ignoramus1439

What about a water supply. Without electricity, how long can you water source continue? Since Illinois is pretty flat, they must use tall water tanks for storage. Need electric motors to power pumps to refill the tanks.

Survivalists have barrels of water for backup. I remember an auction sale at a house that had rooms of food stored and another room full of filled water barrels. I bought a pickup bed full of cans of dried beans, etc. molasses, brown sugar. That was almost 10 years ago and we still have lots left.

Paul

Reply to
KD7HB

I am not losing my sleep over water. We have some bottled water and several creeks and rivers nearby, plus lake Michigan 25 miles away.

Ignoramus1439

Carnival-come for the fun, stay for the inferno. JR Dweller in the cellar

Reply to
JR North

Who's "we" bubba? Speak for yourself, I avoid urban areas like the plague they are and I am not at all reliant on their house of cards.

Reply to
Pete C.

Much of New Orleans "sank" in 45 minutes...

Reply to
Pete C.

And Titanic had more lifeboats.

Reply to