Ship models from the movies/tv shows.

After watching "Pirate of the Caribbean" several dozen times :-) does anyone know if any model manufacturer has obtain the license to do any of the 3 ships (Black Pearl, Interceptor or Dauntless)?

On the same topic, what about the ships mentioned/depicted in "Hornblower": The Dreadnaught, Indefatigable (holy hell what a name) and others?

Good idea. I doubt it has been acted on yet. I would love to see a "Black Pearl". And I didn't even expect to like that movie. It was great.

-John

Reply to
Pacific95

good film? not my cup of teat at all

"Hornblower":

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

who has the rights to the 1970's Disney/MPC Pirates of the Caribbean series kits?

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Don't know the answer, but the Disneyana people (rabid fans who spend a lot of money and hold a lot of Disney stock) have been pissed off ever since the movie came out with little or no product support.

Maybe when the video comes out.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

You might think about using Lindberg's "Jolly Roger" as a basis for the "Black Pearl". With a a few alterations and a bit (well...make that

*quite* a bit!) of weathering, she'd probably make a pretty decent replica at a pretty decent price.
Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall

As far as the Hornblower stuff and the recent 'Commander' movie, full sized ship is HMS Rose, replica of a British Frigate. In the Hornblower series the '74's were very large 'models'.

Only plastic Frigate I am aware of is USS Constitution. There are several Heller plastic ships of line, including a very nice Le Superbe, a 'standard' French 74.

In wooden kits there are a number of frigates, a couple of nice 74s, one British one French, and lots of larger ships. However, wooden shipmodeling is a very difficult modeling genre, and requires working up from simpler kits before tackling a major warship.

Model Expo is best source for both plastic and wood sail>

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Huh??? I think you mis-understood, "The Dreadnaught" is a ship name that featured in the "Hornblower" series.

Courtesy of C.S. Forrester.

Eh, let him ramble. I'm learning something here. ;-)

WmB

WmB

Really? It may be just the depth to which Forester has got into my mind, but I betcha there WAS a Napoleonic-era "Indefatigable".

According to "Sea of Words", Dean King's companion to Patrick O' Brian, Indefatigable was a "Third Rate 64, built in 1784. Reduced to 38 guns in

1795 [i.e. they took the top deck off her, leaving a well-found and sizeable frigate-hull] and commanded by Sir Edward Pellew (real guy and, err... What was his name in Hornblower, again? Oh, that's right...) She fought the famous action with the Droits de l'Homme in 1797, when that ship was driven ashore after an all-night battle. In October, 1804, she led the capture of four Spanish treasure-ships. She was broken up in 1816."

As to the Dreadnought, the first to bear the name was a 98-gun first-rate launched in 1801

Right now, Royal Navy 2, Boris Beizer, 0. You could _check_.

Bestest, M.

Reply to
Matt Bacon

That was my initial thought, but I could not find anything in a quick google search.

Just spent a bit more time in google, I did come across that, but wasn't that during the French Revolution? I know Napoleon did side for the Nationalist, but the Napoleonic Wars started in 1803, however it was a follow-on of the FR.

At least according to:

In article , Matt Bacon writes

IIRC, at Buckler's Hard.

I thought it was 44? The ship which represented her in the series (the "Grand Turk") was roughly half size, and was a 22. (I have a photo I took of the Grand Turk some years ago leaving harbour after visiting the old home town - I could post it on a.b.m.s. if it would be of any interest.)

Later Lord Exmouth

She's available as a rather basic (intended for wargamers) 1:1200 model from Navwar. I think I have one unbuilt somewhere, but I can't lay my hands on it right now - pity, as the data sheet would give details, particularly of armament.

Regards,

Reply to
Moramarth

In article , Don Stauffer writes

In the "Hornblower" series it's the "Grand Turk", which was purpose built for the series.

Airfix used to do H.M.S. Shannon as a "Series 1" kit, I think they were "box scale" - H.M.S. Victory was the same size! - but it may have approximated 1:600. Not seen it in years.

Regards,

Reply to
Moramarth

The Interceptor is a real ship but the name escapes me. The Dauntless was computer generated, according to the extras on the PotC DVD.

RLM

Reply to
RLM

HMS Indefatigable was a razeed British Ship of the line. She was cut down from a 64 gun SOL and was one of the few successful Razees. In the early days of the Wars of the French Revolution she was indeed commanded by Sir Edward Pellew, who, along with another British Frigate destroyed the French

74, Droits de l'Homme. She was nominally a 44.

Langton makes a model of her in 1/1200 scale, out of white metal, along with other famous ships of the period and also generic ship classes of the period. (Dreadnaught BTW, also existed as a 98 gun ship in this period.) While these ships are designed for wargaming, they can, with a lot of paint work, be turned into very nice little models. They also make some 1/300 scale ships, a small British Frigate based on HMS Juno, an American sloop, USS Wasp, and a few other small ships. These are resin. Try:

"W"

Reply to
John Dynia

Why? Have you never been fatigabled? ;-)

"Hornblower":

Reply to
David Amos

a girl once corbled and arched me.

Well, yes. But it was kinda awkward and I felt rather askew. Especially walking on one leg because the other one still tingled a bit from the fatigabling. But I can recommend to anybody with a strong heart. to go to the fatigableparlour. A least once a year

HTH

-- Dennis Loep The Glueing Dutchman

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny ...'" Isaac Asimov

Reply to
Bert&Ernie

"W"

Nope. Check your sources or better sources. First "Dreadnaught" is 1573.

Reply to
Boris Beizer

Dauntless was a three decker ship of the line. Only one of those left is the Victory, floating in concrete over at Portsmouth.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey